Satipatthana Sutta clarification

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Re: Satipatthana Sutta clarification

Postby Dhammakid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks, bodom. I think I understand now... Mindfulness of another's body as it pertains to developing wisdom into important realizations necessary for grasping the 4NTs.
Dhammakid

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:32 am

chownah wrote:....and specifically my view is that what is being described IN THE SUTTA is meditative concentration developed and directed toward contemplation of various aspects of the four frames.

Yes, I understand the point you're making, but I still think the 4 frames are applicable both on and off the cushion - as you say these are mutually supportive. Also Right Concentration and Right Mindfulness are 2 distinct factors of the path.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby dhammapal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:14 am

Hi,

I think the problem here is defining mindfulness as "awareness" rather than Thanissaro's “keeping something in mind.”
The Buddha wrote:And what is the faculty of mindfulness? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, is mindful, highly meticulous, remembering & able to call to mind even things that were done & said long ago. He remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... the mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. This is called the faculty of mindfulness.
From: Indriya-vibhanga Sutta: Analysis of the Mental Faculties translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

So mindfulness of feelings externally is keeping in mind the existence of the feelings of others. Awareness of other's feelings would require psychic powers.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 am

dhammapal wrote: Awareness of other's feelings would require psychic powers.

Though it's usually apparent when somebody is angry or upset.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Previous

Return to Insight Meditation