delete account

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

delete account

Postby befriend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:36 am

i dont know how to delete my own account on this forum. how do i do that?
befriend

Re: delete account

Postby plwk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:14 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2
3. Accounts will not be deleted upon request / One account per member
Sometimes if people are not happy with their experience at a forum and wish to leave, they ask to have their account deleted, along with all their posts. Member accounts will not be deleted upon request, but they can be deactivated.
The member's posts will not be deleted upon request because this would mess up the continuity of any threads in which they were involved in, and therefore cause inconvenience to other members. Members may only have one account.
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:14 am

Forums such as this can be, at times, a bit rough and tumble, but if you hang in there, there is also a lot that can be gotten from such a forum as this in terms of information, conversation, and most importantly support of fellow Dhamma practitioners.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 am

Hi befriend, just to reiterate what others have said, we don't delete accounts on request for those reasons given. And in support of Tilt's post, it would be good for you to have a chat with one of the admins (or mods) as to your desire to delete your account so as we can get to the bottom of your discomfort here and see whether there is something we can do to improve your online experience.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:37 am

:goodpost:

Yep, happy to listen here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 pm

plwk wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2
3. Accounts will not be deleted upon request / One account per member
Member accounts will not be deleted upon request, but they can be deactivated.

IMHO, this actually protects the person leaving. I've seen people create accounts with the same (or similar) alias as a deleted account and then go on to frame someone by posting inflammatory posts.

The member's posts will not be deleted upon request because this would mess up the continuity of any threads in which they were involved in, and therefore cause inconvenience to other members. Members may only have one account.

I know the law varies a lot, but in some places a person's post is legally considered to be their writings, which they are legally entitled to give or take away. I'm not a lawyer so my guess would be the laws that would apply would be the laws of where the server this site runs on is located.

Beyond the law, on an ethical level, a person's writing is their writing and IMO their wish to remove it should be honored, taking priority over the inconvenience of others in understanding legacy posts.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby manas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 am

Hey befriend,
it might help if you hear, that I've (very occassionally) thought about that, when I've (felt) like I've had a challenging experience online. Overcame the whole issue by not revealing too much personal info online, even here. I look at it this way now: anything you write online will (or could) be viewed by: friends, aquaintances, neutral persons, problematic persons (for self), and strangers. I wish it wasn't like this, but it is...so now, if I have something of a personal nature, I PM someone I trust, but I'm careful before publicly posting stuff, cos it's not always easy to get rid of it once it's there (I did request a certain whole topic to be deleted once, though, and the admin kindly agreed).

may you be well,

:namaste:
manas

Return to Announcements