YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhist monastery in Germany needs help - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhist monastery in Germany needs help

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Khalil Bodhi

Buddhist monastery in Germany needs help

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Just received word from a Venerable that a Buddhist vihara in Germany is in danger of being shut down by the government. Read here:

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

perkele

Re: Buddhist monastery in Germany needs help

Postby perkele » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for sharing! I hope enough people contribute to put them out of this calamity. Bureacracy can be rather silly and destroy many good things for no real purpose at all.

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:06 pm

I'd just like to point out that although they've only made about $500 on this Indie Go-Go page, they are actually far closer in real life. So far it looks like they're closing in on about 2,000 euros, which is not that bad for a few days! Your donations aren't going to a lost cause!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 pm

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 am

This whole story seems to be kind of strange. I wrote an e-mail to Ven. Thitadhammo hoping he may shed some light on this...

best wishes, acinteyyo

edit: I got a reply today. In short, the apartment is used as a religious facility with events and meetings. The building authorities in accepting the monastery as a monastery applied a new calculation of necessary parking lots which have to be provided according to german laws for religious institutes. Since the apartment is just a normal apartment the landlord doesn't want to pay for the parking lot because if the monastery leaves the apartment in the future sometime the landlord will have to bear all the costs and any additional costs for a parking slot which is only necessary if another religious institute will ever rent this apartment again which is more or less unlikely. That's why the landlord passed the costs to the monastery. Ven. Thitadhammo wrote that they accept the demand of the building authorities because this also means that they are accepted as a monastery by the city.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

perkele

Postby perkele » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for explaining, acinteyyo. So the whole story is not so strange at all, and I think all sides involved are dealing with it in a very reasonable manner. For those who understand German, on this website there's a link to an article of a local newspaper in Freising: http://www.bodhi-vihara.org/archive/14138. In short: Not too much to worry about, but donations are still needed.
On the aforementioned website (on the left side under "Spendenstatus") you can also see how much has been donated in total by now.

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Can't read German.....so according to the OP, this "apartment" in Fischergasses 18 has been rented since May 2011.
Therefore the apartment being a "flat/residential property" is being used as a religious facility.....clearly wrong function.....yet it has been in full operation since May 2011 and had no issues ever since.....until this appears on the papers dated 8 November 2012.

Need the right property with the right facility/function is required.....Surely it must be cheaper to seek out alternative accommodation elsewhere.

perkele

Postby perkele » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:14 am

Return to “Announcements”