E-sangha news

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
christopher:::

Re: E-sangha news

Post by christopher::: »

meindzai wrote:Meaning we'd probably all have to re-register, and we would no posts associated with our names. And there are a great deal of moderators with different permissions to different parts of the forum. And people might not register with the same names as before, so if there was a restore, it'd be hard to know who was who. There's also the banned users and IPs. Gives me a headache to think about it!

-M
It's only a headache if one feels compelled to recreate the past, perfectly...
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:
meindzai wrote:Meaning we'd probably all have to re-register, and we would no posts associated with our names. And there are a great deal of moderators with different permissions to different parts of the forum. And people might not register with the same names as before, so if there was a restore, it'd be hard to know who was who. There's also the banned users and IPs. Gives me a headache to think about it!

-M
It's only a headache if one feels compelled to recreate the past, perfectly...
It is silly not to restart the forum, if needs be from scratch. A new beginning and maybe a chance to undo some of the very serious mistakes of the past.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

From what I've heard, the membership database is still fine and intact.
It was only the posts database that has the problem.

Maybe I'll try to get in contact with Leo today, and Todd too, and see what's up.

:)
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Karunika

Post by Karunika »

They are still working on the problem, which also involves the web host.
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

dharmagoat wrote:Hello David,

Recently I found that I was unable to log into BuddhistCommunity using FireFox because of the warning that you describe. I am now successfully logging in using Internet Explorer with no signs of malware... yet.
I just alerted my buddy Goat to a related concern, so this is a general announcement for anyone else attempting to use the Buddhist-Community site. It has almost certainly been hacked, perhaps by the same person(s) who've messed up e-sangha, or perhaps through a malware spread from e-sangha to B-C. Either way, if you get the warning I just got while using FireFox to check in on Buddhist-Community -- the same, or similar, to that quoted above warning of malicious downloads, etc. -- I highly recommend you do NOT attempt to gain entry to the site with IE. IE is notorious for its vulnerability to malware. Remember, most hackers are aiming at Microsoft products, or at least that is the word I have gotten from my techie friends. If you think you MUST visit a site you know has problems, a Linux OS is probably the safest route.

I am not saying you will automatically foul up your OS if you visit Buddhist-Community, but until the kinks get worked out and security is restored, I believe it is better to stay away and not to try to circumvent security warnings with alternate browsers. If you do, you're asking for trouble, and we all know what happens when you go asking for trouble....

Stay safe and be well.
heybai

And now for the real reason I came here: :popcorn: :alien: :stirthepot: :juggling: :group: :toast: :jedi: :rofl: :soap: :cry: :heart: :hug: :buddha2: :anjali: :toilet: :rules: :yingyang: :computerproblem: :oops: :coffee: :guns: :clap: :soap: :popcorn: :buddha1:

cheerios --
:anjali:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

They should simply cut their losses and start from scratch or just scratch e-sangha off. We can then hold a memorial service.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

tiltbillings wrote:They should simply cut their losses and start from scratch or just scratch e-sangha off. We can then hold a memorial service.
I don't know any more about the problem than I've read in this thread, but I don't see why e-sangha should be abandoned permanently. Perhaps the database of old postings will have to go, but I bet many of the best materials can be re-posted.

Paññāsikhara wrote:From what I've heard, the membership database is still fine and intact.
It was only the posts database that has the problem.
If this is indeed true, they'd be able to Re-create the Cup, without the Tea... A much respected approach in the Zen Buddhist tradition...

A Cup of Tea

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:A much respected approach in the Zen Buddhist tradition...
Some of us might see a touch of ironical humor in that.

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

heybai wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:They should simply cut their losses and start from scratch or just scratch e-sangha off. We can then hold a memorial service.
I don't know any more about the problem than I've read in this thread, but I don't see why e-sangha should be abandoned permanently.
Setting aside the question of motives for creating such an environment, I think the whole premise of a massive "Buddhism Central" talk-atorium covering nearly all traditions with 20 thousand members needs to be carefully rethought, setting aside any knee-jerk tendencies toward "Buddhism is good in any form" and looking at the potential negative effects such a massive electronic talk-atorium may have had on the viewing public and on the body of knowledge known as "Buddhism". We don't even fully comprehend the negative effects of television on the human mind and society after 70 years in existence. What might be the toll of such a large scale electronic fora on a body of thought and knowledge and on the thousands of average under-informed viewers who are being introduced to Buddhism in this wild west environment?

Setting aside this concern, if there is to be a "Buddhism Central" then at the very least the Buddhist community would be better served if the forum had a board of directors made up of ordained teachers from every tradition because what fool would believe that a forum with such traffic could be ruled like a fiefdom?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:focus:

Please keep posts related to E-Sangha and their technical issues only. Off topic posts may be removed.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:A much respected approach in the Zen Buddhist tradition...
Some of us might see a touch of ironical humor in that.
:tongue:
retrofuturist wrote::focus:

Please keep posts related to E-Sangha and their technical issues only. Off topic posts may be removed.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
sorry!

:bow:
Dhammanucara

Post by Dhammanucara »

So is now Esangha accessible? Because right now, I still cant access it. :|

Metta,
Dhammanucara
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dhammanucara,
You've answered your own question.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I don't think I'll be using e-sangha again, even if it does get up and running. Its probably not the topic to say exactly why. I feel that this is a much better forum though, I like it here :D
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn