E-sangha news

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Paññāsikhara

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Maybe it's just me. Where I come from, we tend towards the idea of "Innocent until proven guilty", and even avoid making outright statements to the contrary until the verdict comes out.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well said Bhante!

At this point, I would like to reiterate that the purpose of this thread is for the dissemination of news relating to e-sangha and its return for the benefit of past, present and future e-sangha members.
Anything else, however interesting, is off-topic and will be removed without notice.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Is there any more news about e-sangha's return? I do feel nervous that dhammawheel might become a target next, particularly because of the membership crossover. I hope the lessons learnt about internet security by the e-sangha elves can be shared with the dhammawheel elves too.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mawkish
There's no additional news at the moment. Given that some of our members are e-sangha moderators with contact with e-sangha admin, they will be the ones who will more than likely provide that news here.
Thanks for your concerns regarding DW security.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Andreas Ludwig

Post by Andreas Ludwig »

No news currently afaik.

Gassho

Andreas
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Any New Year updates? Does anyone know if the idea of rebooting E-S with membership intact (but data lost) has been considered by Leo and other admins?

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:Any New Year updates? Does anyone know if the idea of rebooting E-S with membership intact (but data lost) has been considered by Leo and other admins?
Considering the state of the "Buddhist Community" and that the E-Sangha founder, Leo, using its membership base, has not been used to resurrect E-Sangha after this length of time, defunct probably describes E-Sangha accurately.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Someone on another forum started a rumor that the admins at E-S have abandoned their attempt to recover data, and are planning a new site. When asked to cite his sources, there was no response. I agree with above comment:
Considering the state of the "Buddhist Community" and that the E-Sangha founder, Leo, using its membership base, has not been used to resurrect E-Sangha after this length of time, defunct probably describes E-Sangha accurately.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:Any New Year updates? Does anyone know if the idea of rebooting E-S with membership intact (but data lost) has been considered by Leo and other admins?
Tilt, please, could you reword the bolded for me? I think I am having grammar difficulties... :embarassed:

Thank you!
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Hi Annabel. I think he's saying E-Sangha is probably history.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Annabel wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Tilt, please, could you reword the bolded for me? I think I am having grammar difficulties... :embarassed:

Thank you!
it is not the most grammatically graceful sentence I have written. Basically, E-Sangha is kaputt. Or so it would seem.

If the membership-base files are intact, but the data base irretrievably corrupt, there would be no reason not to re-start it, given the large user base and the large number of people who liked E-Sangha as a place to talk. The fact that Leo's "Buddhisty Community" is being poorly moderated, allowing a lot of negativity to flourish and that E-Sangha has not been re-started with the intact membership-base files, suggests that Leo's heart is not in this anymore, but those are just observations from afar and could be totally wrong.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Andreas Ludwig

Post by Andreas Ludwig »

The fact that Leo's "Buddhisty Community" is being poorly moderated
It's not moderated at all, that's the problem. The site's become a trash and flame platform of the worst kind and since nothing is done about that, I have deleted my account there recently. Regarding any rumors you might come across there I wouldn't believe anything I read there. It seems that everybody can open numerous accounts even under names already existing. So if a 'Leo' says something there there's no proof he's the 'real one'. I don't understand why the site is allowed to go on without moderation, I simply don't get it. The only good thing about it is that all those who said we were to harsh on ES with our moderation style can now see what happens if there's no mod around at all. I surely hope that ES will come back in some form or other, but it's been so long now without any news, I actually doubt that we will see a new ES anytime soon.

Gassho

Andreas
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Andreas Ludwig wrote:The only good thing about it is that all those who said we were to harsh on ES with our moderation style can now see what happens if there's no mod around at all.
It was not really an issue of harsh moderation; rather, it was an issue of enforcement of a doctrinal standard. Also, the fact that no one has any actual information bodes poorly for the return of E-Sangha.

meindzai

Post by meindzai »

tiltbillings wrote: Also, the fact that no one has any actual information bodes poorly for the return of E-Sangha.
I don't think it bodes anything - to me no information means no information. (It could mean he's working very hard on getting it restored, therefore not communicating. It could mean anything at all, therefore it means nothing).I'd rather base my conclusions off of information rather than lack of it.

I sympathize with the general frustration people are having though. I think we are being fairly patient, even for unawakened Buddhists! Some information would be nice.

-M
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

meindzai wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: Also, the fact that no one has any actual information bodes poorly for the return of E-Sangha.
I don't think it bodes anything - to me no information means no information.
It is suggestive in the very least. If he were working very hard on getting E-Sangha back up and running, why keep all tne former participants out of the loop? No news is no news.