E-sangha news

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Annapurna

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Annapurna »

christopher::: wrote:Hi Annabel. I think he's saying E-Sangha is probably history.
Oh! Thank you! :anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

tiltbillings wrote: it is not the most grammatically graceful sentence I have written.
Phew... And I was questioning my understanding.
Basically, E-Sangha is kaputt. Or so it would seem.
Oh... :(
If the membership-base files are intact, but the data base irretrievably corrupt, there would be no reason not to re-start it, given the large user base and the large number of people who liked E-Sangha as a place to talk. The fact that Leo's "Buddhisty Community" is being poorly moderated, allowing a lot of negativity to flourish and that E-Sangha has not been re-started with the intact membership-base files, suggests that Leo's heart is not in this anymore, but those are just observations from afar and could be totally wrong.
Perhaps. But wasn't there a vow?

Perhaps he is inundated with work....

I hope he is well... :?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Annabel,
Annabel wrote:Perhaps. But wasn't there a vow?
Yes... it's quite possible though that with all the headaches the online world has given him of late (e.g. the hacking of E-Sangha, Jundo Cohen's threats of legal action, the inundation of Buddhist Community by trolls, persistent criticism of E-Sangha and its administration), he might instead choose to use more conventional means of propagating the Dhamma such as contributing to the publication of Dhamma books, supporting local temples etc. Who could blame him, really?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

retrofuturist wrote: Yes... it's quite possible though that with all the headaches the online world has given him of late (e.g. the hacking of E-Sangha, Jundo Cohen's threats of legal action, the inundation of Buddhist Community by trolls, persistent criticism of E-Sangha and its administration), he might instead choose to use more conventional means of propagating the Dhamma such as contributing to the publication of Dhamma books, supporting local temples etc. Who could blame him, really?
Oh, I see. Well, I am very grateful to E-Sangha since it was the first board that helped me to orientate myself in this swamp of buddhist opinions, papers, traditions, views etc. I don't remember when I joined E-Sangha (around 2006-7?) where I had been lurking until last year (and where I was directed here, as a matter of fact (and for which I am grateful, too)).

There might have been some upsides and downsides to E-Sangha, but personaly speaking, it has been a good "beginners lighthouse", so if indeed it is either irretrievable or the owner is too discourage to rebuild it, R.I.P, E-Sangha, you did open doors, indeed ... :anjali:

:buddha1:

PS: Apologies for bad grammar, I am kind of tired and the sentences seem to get jumbled in my brain.
Jumbled, is this even an existing word?! :rolleye:
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Good points, Vardali. Without E-sangha, many of us here may have never met in the online world.
Andreas Ludwig wrote:Christopher,
Well, i'll restate my earlier question, specifically to former E-S moderators who are currently members here...Does anyone know if the idea of rebooting E-S with membership intact (but data lost) has been considered by Leo
As far as I know yes, that has been considered by Leo and it's not surprising, since with a database beyond the point of a possible recovery (I don't know if that's the case, though) it will be the only choice left if we want to see ES as a forum back online. As I said previously, I doubt that this will be anytime soon, but I have no doubts that Leo is working to bring it back.

Gassho

Andreas
Thank you Andreas.
:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

So, this is what I keep coming back to, in a confused daze. Leo is PAYING money for Buddhist Community. So why abandon it? Is he unbelievably wealthy?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Monkey Mind wrote:So, this is what I keep coming back to, in a confused daze. Leo is PAYING money for Buddhist Community. So why abandon it? Is he unbelievably wealthy?
It's not that expensive to put a website up, depending on how it's done.
msmedusa

Post by msmedusa »

Vardali wrote:
retrofuturist wrote: Yes... it's quite possible though that with all the headaches the online world has given him of late (e.g. the hacking of E-Sangha, Jundo Cohen's threats of legal action, the inundation of Buddhist Community by trolls, persistent criticism of E-Sangha and its administration), he might instead choose to use more conventional means of propagating the Dhamma such as contributing to the publication of Dhamma books, supporting local temples etc. Who could blame him, really?
Oh, I see. Well, I am very grateful to E-Sangha since it was the first board that helped me to orientate myself in this swamp of buddhist opinions, papers, traditions, views etc. I don't remember when I joined E-Sangha (around 2006-7?) where I had been lurking until last year (and where I was directed here, as a matter of fact (and for which I am grateful, too)).

There might have been some upsides and downsides to E-Sangha, but personaly speaking, it has been a good "beginners lighthouse", so if indeed it is either irretrievable or the owner is too discourage to rebuild it, R.I.P, E-Sangha, you did open doors, indeed ... :anjali:

:buddha1:

PS: Apologies for bad grammar, I am kind of tired and the sentences seem to get jumbled in my brain.
Jumbled, is this even an existing word?! :rolleye:

Hi :smile:

A great big 'ditto' to Vardali from me too! E-Sangha was my stepping stone too.

I was directed to E-Sangha as a distinct 'beginner' :smile: and found it a useful vessel for untangling and understanding the information coming at me from all angles! I found it friendly, informal and endlessly forgiving of beginner blunders!

I met my first Buddhist friends online at E-Sangha ,and went on to be friends with them offline too. I in turn recommended it to a friend of mine who also found it a safe and comfortable place to ask her own questions.

Despite all the problems I for one am sad to see the end of the E-Sangha era.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

msmedusa wrote: Hi :smile:

Me too. I learned a lot there.
:namaste:
Kim
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think that it all depends on whether teyes wants to go down that route again. I am unreliably informed that he may not.
sagara

Post by sagara »

PeterB wrote:I think that it all depends on whether teyes wants to go down that route again. I am unreliably informed that he may not.

What is the source of your information, please? This is the first time I've heard such a claim. Did you contact him?
eijo, a former global moderator
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
msmedusa wrote: Hi :smile:

Me too. I learned a lot there.
:namaste:
Kim
Same here. It may not be time yet to say the era is over...

Eijo, hi, nice to see you again.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

sagara wrote:
PeterB wrote:I think that it all depends on whether teyes wants to go down that route again. I am unreliably informed that he may not.

What is the source of your information, please? This is the first time I've heard such a claim. Did you contact him?
eijo, a former global moderator
Not I Eijo. A third party which is why I said " unreliably ". Not that the person is unreliable, just that it is not first hand.

Anyway, now you are here, why not pull up a chair and have a cup of tea ?

:anjali:
mfesmith

Post by mfesmith »

E-sangha outlived its usefulness sometime ago. It is natural for things to split apart, and E-Sangha could not be everything to everyone. Even if E-Sangha were to return, it is most unlikely that I would be participating much, if at all, and certainly not as a mod or an admin.

If you want to see what I am up to, you can visit http://www.bhaisajya.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://sakyatradition.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,

Namdrol
Anders

Post by Anders »

mfesmith wrote:E-sangha outlived its usefulness sometime ago. It is natural for things to split apart, and E-Sangha could not be everything to everyone. Even if E-Sangha were to return, it is most unlikely that I would be participating much, if at all, and certainly not as a mod or an admin.

If you want to see what I am up to, you can visit http://www.bhaisajya.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://sakyatradition.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,

Namdrol
It's a veritable e-sangha fest now. :o

Fun to see you here. Can we expect to see you elsewhere online if an inter-sectarian forum were to pop up that suited your tastes or are you forum celibate these days?