Uposatha - 8th precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Lombardi4

Uposatha - 8th precept

Post by Lombardi4 »

I want to start observing Uposatha. One question I want to ask is — are the precepts compulsory/obligatory? Because it would be kind of difficult for me to observe the 8th precept. Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Uposatha - 8th precept

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Why? What's difficult about not using high and luxurious beds and seats? If you're disabled, and need to use a wheel chair, then it does not apply.

The Eight Precepts
1. Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from killing living
beings.
2. Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which
is not given.
3. Abrahmācariya veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain all sexual activity.
4. Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from false speech.
5. Surāmeraya-majja-pamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ
samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicants.
6. Vikālabhojanā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from eating after noon.
7. Nacca-gīta-vādita-visūkadassana-mālā-gandha-vilepana-
dhāraṇa-maṇḍana-vibhūsanaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ
samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing,
music, and entertainments; from wearing garlands,
perfumes, cosmetics, and jewellery.
8. Uccāsayanamahāsayanā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ
samādiyāmi.
I undertake the precept to refrain from using high or
luxury beds and seats.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Does the precept apply for the whole 24-hour day or just from getting up from bed in the morning to going to bed in the evening? If the latter I can do it. That is, do I have to sleep on the floor at night?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The proper way to practise the eight precepts is to observe them for 24-hours. If you think about it, undertaking eight precepts at the monastery in the morning, then undertaking the five precepts before leaving to go home in the evening is not renunciation of anything very much.

I don't see what's difficult about this. Just tip the bed up against the wall and sleep on the floor, or if there are creepy crawlies on the floor remove the upholstered mattress and sleep on the base. If the base is just planks with big gaps, lay a piece of plywood or carpet over them.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thank you very much, Venerable! My bedroom is very small with a very large bed, so there is little room on the floor. But I'll try to figure out how to go about it. Thanks again.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_