Noble path and clima

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Hanzze

Noble path and clima

Post by Hanzze »

I like to trow one more question into the web.

Is it possible to keep the presets/and the rules (traditional Theravada) of ordinated people in Countries with 4 seasons, let me say in countries where the temperature can be under 0° C for a longer period?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: Noble path and clima

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Hanzze wrote:I like to trow one more question into the web.

Is it possible to keep the presets/and the rules (traditional Theravada) of ordinated people in Countries with 4 seasons, let me say in countries where the temperature can be under 0° C for a longer period?
Which precept(s)in particular are you asking about Hanzze that may be affected by climate?
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Hanzze wrote:I guess to answer this would be very complex. One who try it personal would be able to answer it.
One would not be able to rest where he finds him self in the evening. So there are much things to think of. Beginning by food till the place one can stay, the traveling, the clothes... By not asking for support, one would fast come into troubles. Some days of snow storm, would not give you the chance to go for begging...
Not to harming is the root of the monk rules. A guideline to protect one self by protecting others.

For sure there would be a way if some laypeople take permanent care, but would that also in fact violate the precepts?
Hi Hanzze.i think I see where you are coming from.Lets take a monks robes for example.The robes that we wear here in SE Asia are fairly light cloth,possibly close to what the monks of Lord Buddhas time wore.The climate of coarse makes that ok.
The robes we wear are to protect us from heat and cold,stinging insects etc.I guess if a monk lived in a place that snowed would certainly wear something warmer.
As you said above, snow storms may prevent monks going on alms rounds and I would imagine that monks in these kinds of situations may have modified the rules to take this into consideration.They same would apply to accommodation etc.Even in the time of Lord Buddha there were amendments allowed in regards to the vinaya when it came to travel and keeping food overnight for instance.Normally a monk should not keep food overnight but the Buddha allowed a monk to take supplies with them if it was likely that there would not be people around where they camped over night and therefore it would not be possible to collect alms.
I hope this helps answer your question.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

I doubt if it was the Buddha's intention to make life difficult or cause undue suffering to the ordained trying to keep to the Vinaya.
He already tried asceticism himself and found it wanting. A sensible approach to the four requisites is needed. :anjali:
alan

Post by alan »

Yes, that makes sense to me.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*