Which sutta/s

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Which sutta/s

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:58 pm

where is this passage found?

Beautiful in the Beginning, beautiful in the middle, beautiful in the end
with metta
manapa
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Which sutta/s

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Greetings Manapa,

I suspect you're referring to explanations of the Dhamma, such as in

MN 108: Gopaka Moggallana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"He has heard much, has retained what he has heard, has stored what he has heard. Whatever teachings are admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end, that — in their meaning & expression — proclaim the holy life entirely perfect & pure: those he has listened to often, retained, discussed, accumulated, examined with his mind, and well-penetrated in terms of his views.

I believe the beginning, middle and end refers to the spiritual path, but it would be good if someone could confirm that from a Classical Theravada perspective.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:02 pm

retrofuturist wrote:I believe the beginning, middle and end refers to the spiritual path, but it would be good if someone could confirm that from a Classical Theravada perspective.

Correct, going from morality to tranquility to wisdom:

Svakkhato: The Dhamma is not a speculative philosophy, but is the Universal Law found through enlightenment and is preached precisely. Therefore it is Excellent in the beginning (Sila — Moral principles), Excellent in the middle (Samadhi — Concentration) and Excellent in the end (Panna — Wisdom).

Anguttara NIkaya 11.12
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 pm

i always use this as my guide to know whether anything is wholesome or not, it's a good way to just drop the "ends justify the means" way of thinking many of us may have been brought up with.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:08 pm

thanks I tried Beautiful, good, and a couple of others and there were pages with it in regard to the Dhamma, but no sutta references!

:anjali:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Classical Theravāda