Which sutta/s

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Cittasanto

Which sutta/s

Post by Cittasanto »

where is this passage found?

Beautiful in the Beginning, beautiful in the middle, beautiful in the end
with metta
manapa
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Re: Which sutta/s

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,

I suspect you're referring to explanations of the Dhamma, such as in

MN 108: Gopaka Moggallana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He has heard much, has retained what he has heard, has stored what he has heard. Whatever teachings are admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end, that — in their meaning & expression — proclaim the holy life entirely perfect & pure: those he has listened to often, retained, discussed, accumulated, examined with his mind, and well-penetrated in terms of his views.
I believe the beginning, middle and end refers to the spiritual path, but it would be good if someone could confirm that from a Classical Theravada perspective.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: I believe the beginning, middle and end refers to the spiritual path, but it would be good if someone could confirm that from a Classical Theravada perspective.
Correct, going from morality to tranquility to wisdom:

Svakkhato: The Dhamma is not a speculative philosophy, but is the Universal Law found through enlightenment and is preached precisely. Therefore it is Excellent in the beginning (Sila — Moral principles), Excellent in the middle (Samadhi — Concentration) and Excellent in the end (Panna — Wisdom).

Anguttara NIkaya 11.12
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i always use this as my guide to know whether anything is wholesome or not, it's a good way to just drop the "ends justify the means" way of thinking many of us may have been brought up with.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

thanks I tried Beautiful, good, and a couple of others and there were pages with it in regard to the Dhamma, but no sutta references!

:anjali:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill