Samadhi without sila?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
m0rl0ck

Samadhi without sila?

Post by m0rl0ck »

Referencing this post http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 98#p103022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and starting a new thread based on it.

rowyourboat wrote: There can be no samadhi, without sila.

with metta
Is that true? Dont people who practice martial arts acheive great one pointedness in the pursuit of violence?

Sila is a great aid to concentration if one has a conscience to disturb, if one does not have a conscience prone to being disturbed by bad acts, i wouldnt think it would be so important. I am a highly deluded person with many flaws and have spent enough time on the cushion so that despite that, i can achieve great, often self sustaining, concentration. I would imagine that there are others even more deluded and lacking in character, who are even better at it than i am. :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Cloud

Re: Samadhi without sila?

Post by Cloud »

As Jack Kornfield puts it, it's hard to have a good meditation session when you've been out stealing and killing all day.

There is some variance depending on individual minds, but there's a kind of pain that remains with you if you've been doing immoral things, even if you aren't aware of it. This can be detrimental to gaining a clear picture of reality; not saying impossible.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Cloud wrote:As Jack Kornfield puts it, it's hard to have a good meditation session when you've been out stealing and killing all day.
I know thats the party line and what all well meaning people would like to beleive, after all if even the wicked and deluded could attain the fruit of practice, where would be the justice in that?

I dont think its so, i think that if you are comfortable with bad acts and protected from consequences, you are just as likely to attian the benefits of practice as anyone. Samadhi is a learned skill, like playing the guitar or riding a skate board. A clear conscience is certainly a help in preventing distraction, but for some i think, the bar is set pretty low.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi m0rl0ck,

usually when we find the word samādhi in the suttas without any further specification, it is not just any kind of concentration or "one-pointedness" but "right concentration" (sammasamādhi).
rowyourboat wrote:There can be no samadhi, without sila.
m0rl0ck wrote:Is that true? Dont people who practice martial arts acheive great one pointedness in the pursuit of violence?
Those people may achieve great one pointedness but without any sīla it won't be right concentration (sammasamādhi) but rather wrong concentration (micchāsamādhi). Only sammasamādhi (together with the other 7 parts of the noble 8-fold path) leads to liberation.

Right concentration are the four jhanas (see SN45.8)
And it is said in a lot of suttas:
And what is right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana ...
I don't know of any sutta that tells that one can enter the jhanas not withdrawn from unskillful qualities.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
ground

Post by ground »

"Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? One discerns wrong resolve as wrong resolve, and right resolve as right resolve. And what is wrong resolve? Being resolved on sensuality, on ill will, on harmfulness. This is wrong resolve.
"Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge... In one of right knowledge, right release comes into being.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards
Emanresu

Post by Emanresu »

m0rl0ck wrote:I dont think its so, i think that if you are comfortable with bad acts and protected from consequences, you are just as likely to attian the benefits of practice as anyone.
Hello,

I think this is the crucial point (underlined). According to the Buddha you cannot protect yourself from the consequences of bad acts unless you abstain from such acts. Everyone of us depends (more or less) on the goodwill of others. If you hurt others (especially if this happens habitually or if they seriously suffer from it), they/this might come back at you one way or another and thereby conditions might be created which are not suitable for any meditation practice. A bad reputation alone can have serious conscequences, especially if important and more powerful people decide to get rid of you or to deprive you from certain necessary things (your job, your home, your freedom etc.). And there might also be consequences we are not aware of: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html. None of them is conducive to meditation practice. Apart from that: Samadhi is about becoming calm and peaceful, i.e. it is about being undisturbed by such emotions which usually lead to bad actions. Therefore I think that it is impossible that they both can go together for very long. If I am not even able or willing to restrain myself from acting out my greed, hatred etc., how and why should I be able or willing to get them out of my mind and thereby attaining samadhi?

All the best!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hi morlock

This is how sila works in attaining samadhi:

Thus in this way, Ananda, skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So sila seems necessary to generate the jhana factors.

However, the point you are asking is if a person may be free from remorse without practicing sila. In my opinion, no. Even psychopaths have moral consciousness, although they are not aware of it. I think it stays burried in their minds but it's still there and still blocking jhana factors.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Modus.Ponens wrote:However, the point you are asking is if a person may be free from remorse without practicing sila. In my opinion, no. Even psychopaths have moral consciousness, although they are not aware of it. I think it stays burried in their minds but it's still there and still blocking jhana factors.
There are a fair number of scientific studies that would suggest otherwise. This summarizes them, but you should be able to find some of the academic papers pretty easily: http://www.news-medical.net/news/201004 ... ction.aspx
Individual

Post by Individual »

Depends on the understanding of sila.

It is possible to have samadhi without following precepts. But it is not possible to have samadhi without skillful and virtuous actions born of mindfulness.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

The whole of the eightfold path is possible without sila - and what you have is:
  • ditthi without samma-ditthi
    sankappa without samma-sankappa
    vaca without samma-vaca
    kammanta without samma-kammanta
    ajiva without samma-ajiva
    vayama without samma-vayama
    sati without samma-sati
    samadhi without samma-samadhi
None of it worth doodly-squat.

metta
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Individual wrote:Depends on the understanding of sila.

It is possible to have samadhi without following precepts. But it is not possible to have samadhi without skillful and virtuous actions born of mindfulness.
Reference?
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

andrer9999 wrote:
Individual wrote:Depends on the understanding of sila.

Reference?
It is possible to have micchāsamādhi without wholesome cetasikā, but not sammāsamādhi, nor Buddhist jhāna. Since breaking sīla requires unwholesome cetasikā, there can be no sammāsamādhi nor Buddhist jhāna at the moment of breaking sīla.
"sammāsamādhissa, bhikkhave, micchāsamādhi nijjiṇṇo hoti; ye ca micchāsamādhipaccayā aneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhavanti te cassa nijjiṇṇā honti; sammāsamādhipaccayā ca aneke kusalā dhammā bhāvanāpāripūriṃ gacchanti.

For one who has right concentration, o monks, wrong concentration is exhausted; and what manifold evil, unwholesome realities co-arise dependent on wrong concentration, these are exhausted; and the manifold wholesome realities dependent on right concentration go to development and fulfillment."

AN 10, 3. tatiyapaṇṇāsakaṃ, (11) 1. samaṇasaññāvaggo, 6. nijjarasuttaṃ
It is interesting to note that micchāsamādhi has many of the same "beneficial" qualities of sammāsamādhi:
"katamā tasmiṃ samaye cittassekaggatā hoti? yā tasmiṃ samaye cittassa ṭhiti saṇṭhiti avaṭṭhiti avisāhāro avikkhepo avisāhaṭamānasatā samatho samādhindriyaṃ samādhibalaṃ micchāsamādhi -- ayaṃ tasmiṃ samaye cittassekaggatā hoti."

"What, at that time, is onepointedness of mind? At that time, the staying of mind, staying composed, staying put, undistractedness, undisturbedness, unperturbedness, quietude, concentration faculty, concentration power, wrong concentration -- this, at that time, is one-pointedness of mind."

DhS, 1. cittuppādakaṇḍaṃ, dvādasa akusalāni
Obviously the benefits of such concentration would be short lived, due to the increase in unwholesome tendencies in such a person.
Last edited by yuttadhammo on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil

Post by phil »

"When the mind is disturbed it is far from concentration." (MN 19 or 20, I think, but don't count on it, but it is the Buddha's teaching.) In another sutta it is said that guarding the sense doors and sila lead to freedom from remorse, and that is a condition for samadhi. Other people will tell you that (according to Abhidhamma) concentration is a cetasika that accompanies every citta and that right samadhi can occur with any object at any time, but I think that is their very self-generous wishful thinking. Personally, my practice is all about establishing sila, I personally think aspiring for right samadhi without sila is an absurdity, and I say that both from watching the mind, and from the Buddha's teaching, as above.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

phil wrote:"When the mind is disturbed it is far from concentration." (MN 19 or 20, I think, but don't count on it, but it is the Buddha's teaching.)
"api ca kho me aticiraṃ anuvitakkayato anuvicārayato kāyo kilameyya . kāye kilante cittaṃ ūhaññeyya. ūhate citte ārā cittaṃ samādhimhāti."

"And so, indeed, when I was investigating and reflecting for a long time, the body would become tired. When the body was tired, the mind would be disturbed. When the mind is disturbed, the mind is far from concentration."

-- MN 19

Not really proof that concentration cannot be accompanied by unwholesomeness....
In another sutta it is said that guarding the sense doors and sila lead to freedom from remorse, and that is a condition for samadhi.
I believe this was discussed already, but I think the concentration implied here is right concentration, and the wording is that freedom from remorse is for the purpose of concentration (I think actually there are a few more links here...). So at best it is a support, but not a necessary condition.
Other people will tell you that (according to Abhidhamma) concentration is a cetasika that accompanies every citta and that right samadhi can occur with any object at any time, but I think that is their very self-generous wishful thinking.
It is one thing to say that concentration is a cetasika, it is another to say that right samadhi can occur with any object at any time. Since it does actually say that samadhi is a universal cetasika in the abhidhamma, it might just be because they respect the authority of that body of texts that they tell you that. And since it does seem to be supported by scientific inquiry, why be dogmatic in refusing to admit it? According to both the sutta and the abhidhamma, there is something called micchāsamādhi, as pointed out above. It is quite obvious that micchāsamādhi is accompanied by unwholesomeness, so obviously the two can go together. There is no reason to think that micchāsamādhi does not exist at the moment of committing an offence against one's sīla.
Personally, my practice is all about establishing sila, I personally think aspiring for right samadhi without sila is an absurdity, and I say that both from watching the mind, and from the Buddha's teaching, as above.
I may be wrong, but I think the OP was asking about samādhi in general, not only sammāsamādhi, which everyone should agree cannot come without concurrent sammāsīla.
Wrong concentration is focussing the mind on a misdeed that one intends to commit by body or speech. It is concentration that enables one to do unwholesome deeds successfully. For example, when you intend to tell a lie, your intention will materialise only if you fix your mind on the words that you have to utter falsely. If your mind wanders, you are likely to speak the truth unwittingly. It is said that in courts the truth about some cases comes to light when witnesses who have agreed to give false evidence are tricked by lawyers whose cross-examination is designed to create confusion. This is due to lack of concentration on the part of the witnesses, so concentration is vital when doing an evil deed. Wrong concentration is very powerful when men plan a massacre, a big robbery, or produce lethal weapons.

-- Mahasi Sayadaw, Sallekha Sutta
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

"Once, Ven. Ananda, Master Gotama was staying near Vesali in the Peaked Roofed Pavilion in the Great Wood. I went to him at the Peaked Roofed Pavilion in the Great Wood, and there he spoke in a variety of ways on mental absorption. Master Gotama was both endowed with mental absorption & made mental absorption his habit. In fact, he praised mental absorption of every sort."

"It wasn't the case, brahman, that the Blessed One praised mental absorption of every sort, nor did he criticize mental absorption of every sort. And what sort of mental absorption did he not praise? There is the case where a certain person dwells with his awareness overcome by sensual passion, seized with sensual passion. He does not discern the escape, as it actually is present, from sensual passion once it has arisen. Making that sensual passion the focal point, he absorbs himself with it, besorbs, resorbs, & supersorbs himself with it.

"He dwells with his awareness overcome by ill will...

"He dwells with his awareness overcome by sloth & drowsiness...

"He dwells with his awareness overcome by restlessness & anxiety...

"He dwells with his awareness overcome by uncertainty, seized with uncertainty. He does not discern the escape, as it actually is present, from uncertainty once it has arisen. Making that uncertainty the focal point, he absorbs himself with it, besorbs, resorbs, & supersorbs himself with it. This is the sort of mental absorption that the Blessed One did not praise.

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha