What do you use to wake up?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
timmbuktwo

Re: What do you use to wake up?

Post by timmbuktwo »

I apologize if I am leading this thread off topic, but I had to post a reply after reading a few remarks. As a previous poster stated, cell phones and any / all radio/elctromagnetic frequency tools should be used very mildly , not only for the case of future "cancers" , but most importantly to persons in this forum because they will disrupt your own bodily in-tunement , be it while just sleeping, or trying to meditate . Microwaves are a whole other story, I am shocked that any Buddhist would even own one.

As to disturbing the spouse, try going to bed a little earlier, and you will wake up a little earlier with no need of an alarm.
Ben

Post by Ben »

timmbuktwo wrote:I apologize if I am leading this thread off topic, but I had to post a reply after reading a few remarks. As a previous poster stated, cell phones and any / all radio/elctromagnetic frequency tools should be used very mildly , not only for the case of future "cancers" , but most importantly to persons in this forum because they will disrupt your own bodily in-tunement , be it while just sleeping, or trying to meditate . Microwaves are a whole other story....
Unsubstantiated new age rubbish. If you are going to make claims like the ones above, kindly support those claims with peer-reviewed scientific evidence.
timmbuktwo wrote:I am shocked that any Buddhist would even own one.

Get over it!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

New-age rubbish or new-age developments? You must decide which on your own , then decide if they are for your betterment or naught .

I am over it , thank-you for helping me with that .
Ben

Post by Ben »

timmbuktwo wrote:New-age rubbish or new-age developments?
Rubbish, definitely.
timmbuktwo wrote:You must decide which on your own ,
I do. The great thing about practicing Buddhism is that, at least for me, given me a highly sensitive BS detector.
timmbuktwo wrote:thank-you for helping me with that .
No problem. I hope that you remember next time to supply supporting evidence for any claim you make here.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

My evidence is justified that someone as yourself would accept such and be content with his decision to do so. Thank-you again.

If you feel they are for your betterment (the one part of my post you left out copy/pasting) then this conversation is closed, if not and you still speak as you do ,then this conversation is closed.
Ben

Post by Ben »

timmbuktwo wrote:My evidence is...
You have produced nothing to support your claims.
timmbuktwo wrote:then this conversation is closed.
That is not for you to decide.
As I said, if you wish to make a claim relating to the health or any other negative impacts of mobile telephone radiation, then it is up to you to provide unequivocal scientific evidence that supports those claims.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

If scientific evidence is what you need then I am part of an in-apropriate website that deals with Buddhism.
Ben

Post by Ben »

timmbuktwo wrote:If scientific evidence is what you need then I am part of an in-apropriate website that deals with Buddhism.
I suggest you stop your eel-wriggling and produce the evidence.
The Buddha never suggested that anything, including what he taught, should be the object of blind belief.
Where is your evidence of the health and other negative impacts of mobile telephone radiation?

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

Exactly , no blind belief , go with your gut.
budo

Post by budo »

Ben wrote:
timmbuktwo wrote:If scientific evidence is what you need then I am part of an in-apropriate website that deals with Buddhism.
I suggest you stop your eel-wriggling and produce the evidence.
The Buddha never suggested that anything, including what he taught, should be the object of blind belief.
Where is your evidence of the health and other negative impacts of mobile telephone radiation?
I can help, I have some studies by Dr Magda Havas for both cell phones and wifi routers

New Study: Radiation from Cordless Phone Base Station Affects the Heart
http://www.magdahavas.com/2010/10/21/ne ... the-heart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brain tumor risk and cell phone use
http://www.magdahavas.com/2010/11/07/br ... phone-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Effect of Microwaves on the Central Nervous System 1965 – German translation
http://www.magdahavas.com/2010/12/02/pi ... anslation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a plethora of studies and cases on her website
http://www.magdahavas.com/category/elec ... -exposure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a personal level, I have had CatScans, and when I asked the doctor about the side effect of CT radiation, he said that the side effects normally show up anywhere between 10-30 years down the road. WIFI Routers are only about 10-12 years old, and every year they get stronger and stronger from G to N routers. We will only see the health effects 10-30 years from now. Just as I'm typing this and looking at my Laptops wifi, I can see at least 10 other wifi signals from other routers in homes nearby. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

budo wrote:Just as I'm typing this and looking at my Laptops wifi, I can see at least 10 other wifi signals from other routers in homes nearby. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit?
No but thanks for the meditation subject - seeing the body as transparent to all the electromagnetic waves that are zipping through space... pass through the body like it isn't even there... which it isn't in a way.. since matter is 99.999% space anyway...
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I find it strange that this thread has taken such a drastic turn, but nevertheless I will put in my 2c as a physicist:

'Radiation' ( a distinction must be made between electromagnetic and radioactive decay) comes in two broad kinds: ionising, and non-ionising. The former is harmful; the latter is not. The ionising potential of any particular photon is nominally calculated by E = hf, where h is Plank's constant and f is the frequency of the wave. Cellphones are not ionising. You have nothing to fear; anybody who tells you otherwise is most likely ill-informed and, frankly, uneducated.

As for this little tidbit:

'Just as I'm typing this and looking at my Laptops wifi, I can see at least 10 other wifi signals from other routers in homes nearby. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit?'

No, it doesn't scare me in the least. Go play with a geiger counter for a while - it's an interesting exercise to see just how much background radiation you absorb (here's a hint; that giant ball of fire in the sky spits out a good deal of ionising radiation. If 10 wifi networks make you scared, you'll be pissing yourself when you see the counts/min!)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I wish I could sleep...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I'm concerned about electrosmog too.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Euclid wrote:(here's a hint; that giant ball of fire in the sky spits out a good deal of ionising radiation. If 10 wifi networks make you scared, you'll be pissing yourself when you see the counts/min!)
You beat me to it. Thank you. If people knew how what was going on outside our atmosphere (and some inside), they'd strap cellphones to their heads and groins and call it a day.