Thread bumping

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Annapurna

Re: Thread bumping

Post by Annapurna »

I've never seen here that old threads became a problem that needed any form of concern and moderating action.

And why create unnecessary limitations?

Isn't Buddhism about liberation from all sorts of jails we create with our worries?

Another rule would display another worry.

It would be a pity to have old, valuable material deleted, too.

This is probably useful in forums where the topics have a lot of idle chatter, but not here.

:anjali:
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Individual wrote:It's a common rule on forums because people that go back and post in old threads tend to be disruptive.
I don't think it's disruptive. The same topics tend to re-appear on a regular basis on these forums, and sometimes re-starting an old thread makes more sense than starting a new one.

Spiny
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Necroposting can be annoying sometimes but it's not the end of the world.

Just speaking as a long-time forum user and administrator, myself. It's not a big deal. Also, purging old threads kills the posting statistics- and you don't want that. On my forum we have one particular user who finds it appropriate to necropost about once a week or two, long after the conversation is ended, but we just let it go.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

KonstantKarma wrote:Necroposting can be annoying sometimes but it's not the end of the world.
For me it's not all that annoying unless it happens frequently, which it doesn't seem to here.

And is it really necessary to post a picture of a bunch of dead people to get your point across?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

andrer9999 wrote: And is it really necessary to post a picture of a bunch of dead people to get your point across?
I'm taking the opportunity to visualize my body wrapped up in those sheets, as it will be one day, and contemplating the feelings that generates.

Thanks for the image.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

kirk5a wrote:
andrer9999 wrote: I'm taking the opportunity to visualize my body wrapped up in those sheets, as it will be one day, and contemplating the feelings that generates.
How can you know it will be wrapped up? Perhaps you'll die out in nature and will never be found?
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

andrer9999 wrote:
KonstantKarma wrote:Necroposting can be annoying sometimes but it's not the end of the world.
For me it's not all that annoying unless it happens frequently, which it doesn't seem to here.
Agreed.
And is it really necessary to post a picture of a bunch of dead people to get your point across?
Not always.
kirk5a wrote:I'm taking the opportunity to visualize my body wrapped up in those sheets, as it will be one day, and contemplating the feelings that generates.

Thanks for the image.
;) :namaste: