Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Yes, all the time
22%
Sometimes, in passing
42%
No, I only read the Tipitaka
36%

Total votes: 73

Monkey Mind

Re: Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Post by Monkey Mind »

I clicked "no", but none of the options were a good fit. I have read Mahayana sutras in the past. I read them now from time to time, but only for academic value in understanding my Mahayana brothers and sisters. I do not attribute any importance to them beyond that.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
rainthebat

Post by rainthebat »

Eventually anyone who meditates just to become an Arhat for themselves, is going to come to the finish line and go "this is it? I'm done, but what about all these other people, do I really care about them too?" .

The Mahayana texts give the gift of bringing more life to your meditation (which... has it become a little stale lately?). The potential for some real creative compassionate thinking "I'll help rescue all sentient beings by radiating pleasant thoughts all around", but in your own creative way.

You need something to turn lay people onto Buddhism, and Mahayana is just the key - something flashy, fantastic, fun and still containing some mystery - Something that can include everyone, and still be dazzling. These texts do include the base (precept practicing) core teachings within it, but also add an abundance of joyfulness to the scene.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

rainthebat wrote:Eventually anyone who meditates just to become an Arhat for themselves, is going to come to the finish line and go "this is it? I'm done, but what about all these other people, do I really care about them too?" .

The Mahayana texts give the gift of bringing more life to your meditation (which... has it become a little stale lately?). The potential for some real creative compassionate thinking "I'll help rescue all sentient beings by radiating pleasant thoughts all around", but in your own creative way.

You need something to turn lay people onto Buddhism, and Mahayana is just the key - something flashy, fantastic, fun and still containing some mystery - Something that can include everyone, and still be dazzling. These texts do include the base (precept practicing) core teachings within it, but also add an abundance of joyfulness to the scene.
:guns:

Don't feed the troll people.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings KDT,

:lol:

Yes, rainthebat might like to reign in his or her proselytization in line with the...

Terms Of Service
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... lest unpleasantness fall his or her way.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

He could be making fun of the Mahayana sutras from what he just wrote. Hard to take seriously either way.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I thought it was quite funny :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Everybody watch this :)

Please.

btw i didnt vote since im a mahaweenie and consider myself disqualified since its a theravadan forum.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
alan

Post by alan »

I've seen that video before and on a second look it is still unsatisfying. Maybe if I ever approach Ajahn Brahm's level I'll understand, but my unenlightened mind sees vast differences between the sects. Differences that are not only impossible to ignore but that really matter in terms of practice.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

alan wrote:I've seen that video before and on a second look it is still unsatisfying. Maybe if I ever approach Ajahn Brahm's level I'll understand, but my unenlightened mind sees vast differences between the sects. Differences that are not only impossible to ignore but that really matter in terms of practice.

So far i have found most of the mahayana in the suttas, it seems more a matter of emphasis to me.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
alan

Post by alan »

A comprehensive reading will reveal fundamental differences.
But I'm glad to hear you are taking the time to read them, m0rl0ck!
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

alan wrote:A comprehensive reading will reveal fundamental differences.
But I'm glad to hear you are taking the time to read them, m0rl0ck!
I also like to read zen stuff, like ajahn chah.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

m0rl0ck wrote: I also like to read zen stuff, like ajahn chah.
?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

If one wasn't aware that Ajahn Chah was a Theravadin Buddhist monk, one could most definitely mistake him for one of the old Zen masters.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

bodom wrote:If one wasn't aware that Ajahn Chah was a Theravadin Buddhist monk, one could most definitely mistake him for one of the old Zen masters.

:anjali:
Yes :)
alan

Post by alan »

Ajahn Chah, that great Zen master, is best known for his most interesting Koan: If a teacher lives in the forest and no one knows about it, did he really ever teach?
Brilliant stuff.