Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Yes, all the time
22%
Sometimes, in passing
42%
No, I only read the Tipitaka
36%

Total votes: 73

bodom

Re: Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Post by bodom »

Ajahn Chah was famous for his Koan like teachings.
Have you ever seen flowing water?... Have you ever seen still water?... If your mind is peaceful it will be just like still, flowing water. Have you ever seen still, flowing water? There! You've only ever seen flowing water and still water, haven't you? But you've never seen still, flowing water. Right there, right where your thinking cannot take you, even though it's peaceful you can develop wisdom. Your mind will be like flowing water, and yet it's still. It's almost as if it were still, and yet it's flowing. So I call it ''still, flowing water.'' Wisdom can arise here.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Still_Flowing_Water1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

More Ajahn Chah Koans:
I've already spoken of this, but some of you may be interested to hear it again: if you practice consistently and consider things thoroughly, you will eventually reach this point . . . At first you hurry to go forward, hurry to come back, and hurry to stop. You continue to practice like this until you reach the point where it seems that going forward is not it, coming back is not it, and stopping is not it either! It's finished. This is the finish. Don't expect anything more than this, it finishes right here. Khinasavo- one who is completed. He doesn't go forward, doesn't retreat and doesn't stop. There's no stopping, no going forward and no coming back. It's finished. Consider this, realize it clearly in your own mind. Right there you will find that there is really nothing at all.

http://www.purifymind.com/AjahnChah11.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

A visiting Zen student asked Ajahn Chah, "How old are you? Do you live here all year round?" "I live nowhere," he replied. "There is no place you can find me. I have no age. To have age, you must exist, and to think you exist is already a problem. Don't make problems; then the world has none either. Don't make a self. There's nothing more to say."

http://www.hsuyun.org/chan/en/features/ ... nchah.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

Thanks bodom. The first two statements were metaphors. The last one was an irritated response to a dumb question. I'd do the same.
No Koans there. Similar in appearance but different in substance.
bodom

Post by bodom »

alan wrote:Thanks bodom. The first two statements were metaphors. The last one was an irritated response to a dumb question. I'd do the same.
No Koans there. Similar in appearance but different in substance.
In case you missed it the first time around:
bodom wrote

Ajahn Chah was famous for his Koan "like" teachings.

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

Koan-like is one thing. Koan is another. Since this thread seems to be about differences between the sects, I'd say it is a valid to point that out.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Since this thread seems to be about differences between the sects,

Is it? I thought it was about Theravadin practitioners who also read Mahayana sutras? Perhaps your looking for this thread:

Mahayana better than Theravada?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Ajahn Chah took one look at me, saw that I'd been in a deep meditation, and he said, "Brahmavamso, Why?"

I was completely surprised and confused, and replied, "I don't know".

Afterwards he said, "If anyone ever asks you that question again, the correct answer is, 'There is nothing'".

"Do you understand?" Ajahn Chah asked me.

"Yes," I said.

"No you don't," he replied.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Things.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
alan

Post by alan »

My patience for this kind is stuff is about at an end.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

alan wrote:I've seen that video before and on a second look it is still unsatisfying. Maybe if I ever approach Ajahn Brahm's level I'll understand, but my unenlightened mind sees vast differences between the sects. Differences that are not only impossible to ignore but that really matter in terms of practice.
Hi Alan & all,

The six perfections taught in the bodhisattvayāna are all contained in the standard threefold higher training (i.e. adhiśīlaśikṣā, adhicittaśikṣā, adhiprajñāśikṣā). The only difference is that bodhisattvas have a different goal than śrāvakas. And to this end a bodhisattva must be thoroughly knowledgeable of both the śrāvakayāna and the bodhisattvayāna. This is the knowledge of all paths (mārgākārajñatā).
alan wrote:A comprehensive reading will reveal fundamental differences.
A comprehensive reading will also reveal fundamental commonalities in terms of practice. For example:
alan wrote:Since this thread seems to be about differences between the sects, I'd say it is a valid to point that out.
The Mahāyāna isn't a sect. It's a vehicle for those to aspire to awaken to buddhahood. Thus there are Theravāda bodhisattvas and Mūlasarvāstivāda bodhisattvas and Dharmaguptaka bodhisattvas.

All the best,

Geoff
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ñāṇa wrote:The six perfections taught in the bodhisattvayāna . . . The Mahāyāna isn't a sect. It's a vehicle for those to aspire to awaken to buddhahood. Thus there are Theravāda bodhisattvas and Mūlasarvāstivāda bodhisattvas and Dharmaguptaka bodhisattvas.
And it probably should go without saying, but probably should be said, the above is a Mahayana framework that has no real bearing upon the Theravada.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ñāṇa wrote:The six perfections taught in the bodhisattvayāna . . . The Mahāyāna isn't a sect. It's a vehicle for those to aspire to awaken to buddhahood. Thus there are Theravāda bodhisattvas and Mūlasarvāstivāda bodhisattvas and Dharmaguptaka bodhisattvas.
And it probably should go without saying, but probably should be said, the above is a Mahayana framework that has no real bearing upon the Theravada.
The Theravāda also teaches the bodhisattvayāna. Thus a Theravāda bodhisattva wouldn't necessarily need to learn Mahāyāna sūtras, but it certainly wouldn't hurt since the bodhisattvayāna isn't explicitly taught in the Pāḷi Canon. (Hence Ven. Dhammapāla's use of the Bodhisattvabhūmi from the Yogācārabhūmiśāstra when composing his commentary on the Pāramī-s for Theravāda practitioners who wish to engage in the perfections and practice the mahābodhiyāna of bodhisattas.)
alan

Post by alan »

You are assuming your conclusion, which in itself is intellectually dishonest, and the rest what you have said is smoke, designed to obscure. I don't buy it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ñāṇa wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
The Theravāda also teaches the bodhisattvayāna. Thus a Theravāda bodhisattva wouldn't necessarily need to learn Mahāyāna sūtras, but it certainly wouldn't hurt since the bodhisattvayāna isn't explicitly taught in the Pāḷi Canon. (Hence Ven. Dhammapāla's use of the Bodhisattvabhūmi from the Yogācārabhūmiśāstra when composing his commentary on the Pāramī-s for Theravāda practitioners who wish to engage in the perfections and practice the mahābodhiyāna of bodhisattas.)
The Theravāda teaches a bodhisattva path, but there is no need to put it into a Mahayana framework. Also, the Buddha did not teach it. As for the Mahayana sutras, naw.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

alan wrote:You are assuming your conclusion
What conclusion would that be?
alan wrote:which in itself is intellectually dishonest
How so?
alan wrote:and the rest what you have said is smoke, designed to obscure.
Not a very stimulating or informed reply.

All the best,

Geoff