Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Yes, all the time
22%
Sometimes, in passing
42%
No, I only read the Tipitaka
36%

Total votes: 73

Wizard in the Forest

Re: Do you also read Mahayana Sutras?

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Virgo wrote: OK let's end the sectarian clashes. Let's just accept the Mahayana.
That is not fair. I don't even believe in Mahayana doctrines.
This way more people can be convinced that the Sravaka path (path to Arahantship) is lesser than the Mahayana path which is exclusively to full Buddhahood (note that Theravada contains both a path for Arahantship and a path to full Buddhahood, but probably less than 1% of Mahayana teachers teach a Sravaka path to their students).
So why are you fighting about it? That's Mahayana, we're a Theravada forum.
Those people can then read sutras which literally mock Theravadins and Sravakas and say that their path is inferior.

I know what you're talking about, but this doesn't make up the whole of Mahayana suttas, and to me I give suttas like that no attention. I hated much of the Lotus Sutra as well. There's also that one with the householder that was supposedly better than the Buddha's 2 highest disciples, but that's hard to take seriously.
Based on that pressure and rhetoric people who might otherwise work for the ending of suffering in this lifetime can instead make a vow for Buddhahood even though there are countless other bodhisattvas out there, and they can take 3 countless aoens to do it (as per Mahayana doctrine), inevitably going to hell countless times in the process and experiencing countless types of suffering in samsara until they eventually reach their goal, or eventually meet the path in some lifetime aeons from now again and decide to end their suffering instead of continue, because they have been convinced that is the right path by the "compassionate" vehicle which tells you that if you don't put off liberation and instead suffer for countless aeons that you are of inferior moral standing, a lower being.
You're preaching to the choir here. I have always asked if everyone becomes Mahayana, who will attain liberation? There's no flavor of liberation and no sense of release. HOWEVER, why is there the need to fight about their doctrine without referring at least once to the literal text you're talking about (to warn people off)?
Don't believe me? Go read the Mahayana sutras. Or if you are intent on Buddhahood you can practice the path for it in Theravada and still believe the things the Buddha has said in the Pali suttas rather than controversial things from much later works.

Kevin, man, there's no need to convince me, but you need to actually focus on the topic and if you're going to criticize Mahayana suttas, actually name them and say why they are worthy of such criticism.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
plwk

Post by plwk »

Another thread of.... Image
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Virgo,

There's a certainly irony to your above comment.

It directly parallels the relationship between A (Buddhavacana) and B (Theravada) we discussed in an earlier topic. Only in your case, you're establishing A as Theravada and B as Mahayana.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi Wizard in the Forest, I won't address all your points, for the sake of brevity, however, I will just say that while my thread was a response to you it was really meant for anyone who reads it, it was more of a general statement that I wanted to make.

Hi Retro, I understand the correlation you are making, but I certainly hope you don't think the "Theravada" is as bad for what you consider to be "Buddhavacana" as the Mahayana is for the Theravada..

Kevin
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

It's okay Kevin, no problem for me. I just think there's no need to get all wound up. We're all friends here! I know some Mahayana suttas are particularly ridiculous, but it's better to put a name of a Sutta to give credence to what you say.

No need to jump up on the :soap:
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Hi Retro, I understand the correlation you are making, but I certainly hope you don't think the "Theravada" is as bad for what you consider to be "Buddhavacana" as the Mahayana is for the Theravada..
I don't suggest how inherently bad or good any of it is... I'm just highlighting the parallel and the irony.

I'll let those more versed in these respective sects/schemas/philosophical positions etc. make cases for their respective value judgements. My standard criteria (Four Great References) of what the Buddha taughts vs what the Buddha didn't teach, don't provide any basis for differentiating between the respective merits of the Theravada and Mahayana bodhisatt(v)a paths. To me it's clear that neither are Buddhavacana, and to even say they're implied in the suttas is a stretch.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Wizard in the Forest wrote:It's okay Kevin, no problem for me. I just think there's no need to get all wound up. We're all friends here! I know some Mahayana suttas are particularly ridiculous, but it's better to put a name of a Sutta to give credence to what you say.

No worries friend. There are intellectual points being made here but no impassioned hostility being shown. I do not lay any blame at all on Mahayanists, nor do I particularly criticize them because I feel they are just sentient being doing what they think is best, as far as they see it. I only lay blame on the doctrine which they adhere to, not on those individuals. Actually, Ñāṇa (Geoff) and myself exchanged some very cordial pm's during this exchange and we respect each other very much. As far as getting worked up is concerned, I have had the merit in this life to study in some depth all of the existing known Buddhist sects as well as to have touched the deathless state once. I am not heated nor concerned. I hesitated very much to write the things I wrote and I reviewed in my mind many times what the outcome might be. I read Suttas by the Buddha on how contemplatives should speak and I also read about when and why a Tathagata speaks about something, trying to get an inspired example from how Buddhas speak about tough things.

As far as the Mahayana Suttas in question, the Lotus is certainly a big one, but there are many. In fact, Sariputta who was a Chief disciples of the Buddha and foremost in wisdom is constantly shown to be a fool in Mahayana sutras. It is a reoccurring theme in them.
Wizard in the Forest wrote:No need to jump up on the :soap:
I believe I answered this with the above statements.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Hi Retro, I understand the correlation you are making, but I certainly hope you don't think the "Theravada" is as bad for what you consider to be "Buddhavacana" as the Mahayana is for the Theravada..
I don't suggest how inherently bad or good any of it is...
Very well. I respect your opinions. The only thing I will say is that it could be inferred (though perhaps incorrectly) from what you wrote that you feel that the Theravada is as bad for Buddhavacana as I feel the Mahayana is for Theravada.

Kevin
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Very well. I respect your opinions. The only thing I will say is that it could be inferred (though perhaps incorrectly) from what you wrote that you feel that the Theravada is as bad for Buddhavacana as I feel the Mahayana is for Theravada.
No, no... only that the bodhisatt(v)a elements of both are not Buddhavacana.

Metta,
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Very well. I respect your opinions. The only thing I will say is that it could be inferred (though perhaps incorrectly) from what you wrote that you feel that the Theravada is as bad for Buddhavacana as I feel the Mahayana is for Theravada.
No, no... only that the bodhisatt(v)a elements of both are not Buddhavacana.

Metta,
Yet drawn from it.

Kevin
Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

Forgive my ignorance but I would like to know if the Mahayana Buddhists have an equivalent of the Sutta Pitaka in their collection of scriptures.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

I believe for many that would be the Agamas which are more or less the same collection of texts as most of the Pali Sutta Pitaka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80gama_(Buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The issue isnt the commonalities.....its the later lurches into fantasy fiction. Composed many hundred years later.
Its like taking an understanding of Christianity from the Book Of Mormon.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Sanghamitta wrote:The issue isnt the commonalities.....its the later lurches into fantasy fiction.
So for you the common Nāthadeva/Metteyya stuff is legit but any other devas with bodhisattva or buddha qualities abiding in other world systems is absolutely impossible and therefore illegitimate?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ñāṇa wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:The issue isnt the commonalities.....its the later lurches into fantasy fiction.
So for you the common Nāthadeva/Metteyya stuff is legit but any other devas with bodhisattva or buddha qualities abiding in other world systems is absolutely impossible and therefore illegitimate?
Not impossible. Just irrelevant. Its gilding the lily. Its a literary device which adds nothing to the basic Pali Canon narrative and instead muddies the waters.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.