Tibetian Dzogchen and Thai Theravada

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Hanzze

Tibetian Dzogchen and Thai Theravada

Post by Hanzze »

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... untain.pdf

When the Arahant goes Bodhisattva... what ever connects the Sangha is good.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
plwk

Re: Tibetian Dzogchen and Thai Theravada

Post by plwk »

Hanzze wrote:...what ever connects the Sangha is good.
Yeah like the latest IPAD...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks for posting the link to Ajahn Amaro's book, Hanzze.

After reading it years ago, I began attending a Dzogchen group (following Chogyal Namkhai Norbu) here and saw many similarities between Theravada and Dzogchen.

In the end, I came back to the bare-bones, do-it-yourself, Theravada rather than the later, more distant in time from the Buddha, Dzogchen teachings.
I have an admiration and respect for Dzogchen.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

cooran wrote:I have an admiration and respect for Dzogchen.
Me too. I was a Dzogchen practitioner for many years and have subsequently observed quite a lot of common ground with Therevada. On balance though I prefer the relatively simplicity of Therevada, and there is less to remember. ;)

Spiny
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! *smile*

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hanzze wrote:PS: I also would be happy to see the topic not rotten in the lounge - just out of respect to the content and not my person. I know a monkey tread, but... :-)
I placed the thread in the lounge Hanzze as it is the most appropriate forum for this particular topic.
Being in the lounge is not an indication of the thread's quality.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! *smile*

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hanzze, its time to return to topic.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
erniefernandez

Post by erniefernandez »

On the subject of conciliatory comparison and contrast between Mahayana and Theravada is this absolutely excellent article by the Maha Thera Awsum Oldie Bhikkhu Bodhi.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ttvas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Thanks for sharing this article Erniefernandez! _/\_
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Just that! *smile*