How do you know you are ready to ordain for life?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Soeun

How do you know you are ready to ordain for life?

Post by Soeun »

I been wanting to ordain for quit awhile now, but when I ordain I what to be a monk for the rest of my life. I been trying to train myself so when the time comes I won't get frustrated by having the hindrances overpower me. I don't feel I'm quite ready now, but then again I heard a monk say you shouldn't wait till you are perfect in virtue to ordain. I'm thinking as long as I can maintain the 8 precepts I think I will be ready. Anyway, my question is when do you think you are ready to ordain for life?
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: How do you know you are ready to ordain for life?

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Soeun wrote:I been wanting to ordain for quit awhile now, but when I ordain I what to be a monk for the rest of my life. I been trying to train myself so when the time comes I won't get frustrated by having the hindrances overpower me. I don't feel I'm quite ready now, but then again I heard a monk say you shouldn't wait till you are perfect in virtue to ordain. I'm thinking as long as I can maintain the 8 precepts I think I will be ready. Anyway, my question is when do you think you are ready to ordain for life?
Have you actually spent much time in a monastic setting?
I am talking about meditation retreats etc,where you can actually experience,to a degree what the life style entails.
If you have the time then it may be a good idea to stay in a monastery for a while to see what you think.
The temple that I am at here in Thailand runs a programme where people can ordain as a samenara for a while.As such they take part in dhamma talks,alms rounds,meditation and chanting.Some people often then look into ordaining longer term,while others may say that this is something that they may do at a later stage.Others will decide that this lifestyle isn't for them at this point in time.I don't know where you live but perhaps you can find a place that will allow you to spend time with them.
I wish you all the best on the path and please keep us all informed as to what you decide to do to.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Soeun

Post by Soeun »

Phra Chuntawongso wrote:
Soeun wrote:I been wanting to ordain for quit awhile now, but when I ordain I what to be a monk for the rest of my life. I been trying to train myself so when the time comes I won't get frustrated by having the hindrances overpower me. I don't feel I'm quite ready now, but then again I heard a monk say you shouldn't wait till you are perfect in virtue to ordain. I'm thinking as long as I can maintain the 8 precepts I think I will be ready. Anyway, my question is when do you think you are ready to ordain for life?
Have you actually spent much time in a monastic setting?
I am talking about meditation retreats etc,where you can actually experience,to a degree what the life style entails.
If you have the time then it may be a good idea to stay in a monastery for a while to see what you think.
The temple that I am at here in Thailand runs a programme where people can ordain as a samenara for a while.As such they take part in dhamma talks,alms rounds,meditation and chanting.Some people often then look into ordaining longer term,while others may say that this is something that they may do at a later stage.Others will decide that this lifestyle isn't for them at this point in time.I don't know where you live but perhaps you can find a place that will allow you to spend time with them.
I wish you all the best on the path and please keep us all informed as to what you decide to do to.
With metta
Thanks for the reply Bhante,

I live in the USA and I been to a few monasteries and a couple of retreats, my longest was 10 days.
There is one monastery I'm looking forward to staying at and they run a program where you can stay there as a resident lay-disciple taking 8 precepts, then you can decide from there with the Thera's permission to ordain. I don't know if that is the same with your monastery. I guess the only true answer is through experience, I still have alot to learn and prepare for which is why I'm so glad I found this site, I'm looking to ordain within the next couple of years, If I remember I'll keep everyone posted.

With metta, Soeun
J_W

Post by J_W »

Hi Soeun,

It sounds like you have a good plan. I would add that just in case you find you don't fit in at this monastery, make sure you keep yourself free of obstacles to ordination (e.g. debt, a family), that way you can ordain swiftly when you do feel ready.

Kind regards,

Jeff
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Verse 382. A bhikkhu who, though young, devotes himself to
the Teaching of the Buddha lights up the world, as does the
moon freed from a cloud.

Verse 381:.The bhikkhu who frequently feels joy and is
devoted to the Teaching of the Buddha will realize Nibbàna &
dash; the Tranquil, the Unconditioned, the Blissful.

Verse 369. O bhikkhu, bale out the water (of wrong thoughts)
from this boat (your body); when empty it will sail swiftly;
having cut off passion and ill will you will realize Nibbàna.

Verse 302. It is hard to become a bhikkhu; it is hard to be
happy in the practice of a bhikkhu. The hard life of a
householder is painful; to live with those of a different
temperament is painful. A traveller in saçsàra is continually
subject to dukkha; therefore, do not be a traveller in saçsàra;
do not be the one to be subject to dukkha again and again.
_/\_
with loving kindness and joy
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think once you've spent a bit of time in monasteries and retreat centres enough to know you'll fit in with the lifestyle then next thing to ask yourself is what else do you want to do with your life. Do you want a marriage? a family? a carrer? to do or achieve anything? are you even curious about those things? is there anything else you suspect would make you happy? If the answer is a definate no to all that then probably you are ready.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Guy

Post by Guy »

I would say that it is impossible to know unless you are already an Ariyan. The future is uncertain. If you do ordain, then give it your best shot. If, after giving it your best shot, you decide to disrobe, then at least you gave it your best shot. You can't ask for more than that.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Individual

Post by Individual »

If it seems right and you have nothing else you'd rather do.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra