Physical (brain) effects from meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Moog

Physical (brain) effects from meditation

Post by Moog »

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else had an experience like this, or insight into what it might be.

When I meditate, I often get a funny tingly feeling in my head. Specifically, In the front of my head. It feels like a little tingly sphere embedded in there. When I get into a deep meditation, the feeling then spreads down the sides/underside of the inside of my head.

It feels quite nice, but I am wondering.

Cheers.
IanAnd

Re: Physical (brain) effects from meditation

Post by IanAnd »

That's a common sensation experienced by meditators the world over. Nothing to be concerned about. I equate it with unification of the mind on the object of meditation, as the mind calms down and is then able to focus on the object with greater and greater clarity. This is just my own personal opinion. The opinions of others on this may differ, depending upon how their minds have been conditioned.

You can use that sensation to take you deeper into concentration states, like jhana.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Moog

Post by Moog »

Hi IanAnd, thanks very much! I take this to be a sign of concentrated-ness (it really doesn't seem to be a coincidence that it kicks off when I focus my mind), though I've never heard any teacher mention this phenomenon.

Could you give any more clues about how to use this to get to Jahna? That would be fantastic!

Be well!
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

Hi Moog,
Moog wrote:Hi IanAnd, thanks very much! I take this to be a sign of concentrated-ness (it really doesn't seem to be a coincidence that it kicks off when I focus my mind), though I've never heard any teacher mention this phenomenon.
If you hang out on Buddhist fora like this you should run into more and more people who have experienced this kind of sensation, like you. That's good that you view this sensation as a "sign of concentratedness" (this is how I have always viewed it too) as it will be easier for you to use this sensation as the focus of a nimitta or sign. That concentrated feeling of mind, which is accompanied by the experience of stronger concentration, means that you have achieved samadhi. Congratulations!
Moog wrote: Could you give any more clues about how to use this to get to Jahna? That would be fantastic!
You must be a female (or at least that's how your response struck me; it's helpful for me to know these things when responding to people's comments). If so, you may find this (learning the practice of jhana) easier to accomplish than most males. That's because most females have a closer connection with their intuition than most males do. Doesn't always work out that way, but on average it pretty much holds true from my experience. Intuition can play a pivotal role in learning the practice of jhana.

One of the first bits of instruction I came across several years ago were some tips by the practitioner and teacher Leigh Brasington. The way Leigh teaches the jhanas is that he gets you to stay with the primary object (in my case, the sensation of the breath at the nostrils) until you can sense a pleasant physical sensation somewhere in the body. Then you switch your focus to enjoying that sensation until it expands and tips you into the first jhana. You can learn more about this at the link to his website above.

I've written about this practice elsewhere. You can find some helpful hints in The General, All Purpose Jhana Thread in another forum. Enjoy.

All the best,
Ian
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you Ian, for the link to that Dharma Overground to0pic on jhana. :anjali:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Moog,
IanAnd wrote: If you hang out on Buddhist fora like this you should run into more and more people who have experienced this kind of sensation, like you. ...
Yes, as Ian says, this sort of thing seems to be relatively common, but I guess manifests in different people in slightly different ways. Which may be why you don't hear many teachers talking about it too explicitly, since the last thing they want to do is plant the idea that you should be searching for some particular sensation.
My experience is that I go to my teachers and report some sensation, etc, often as a question: "Am I imagining this?" and they confirm it and give some advice (as Ian has). Then I can carry on...

:anjali:
Mike
Moog

Post by Moog »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Moog,
IanAnd wrote: If you hang out on Buddhist fora like this you should run into more and more people who have experienced this kind of sensation, like you. ...
Yes, as Ian says, this sort of thing seems to be relatively common, but I guess manifests in different people in slightly different ways. Which may be why you don't hear many teachers talking about it too explicitly, since the last thing they want to do is plant the idea that you should be searching for some particular sensation.
My experience is that I go to my teachers and report some sensation, etc, often as a question: "Am I imagining this?" and they confirm it and give some advice (as Ian has). Then I can carry on...

Mike
That makes sense to me. I'm glad I could come here to confirm my experience. Thanks!

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

You're welcome. Personally I think it is really useful to ask a specific question, like you have, which allows people to respond from their experience. People sometimes seem to want to ask very general, basically unanswerable, or tedious to answer, questions, rather than say what they actually experience. If you'd asked "Does anyone get any strange sensations when meditating?", I don't think you'd get such a useful responses as Ian's.

Mike
Moog

Post by Moog »

IanAnd wrote:Hi Moog,
Moog wrote:Hi IanAnd, thanks very much! I take this to be a sign of concentrated-ness (it really doesn't seem to be a coincidence that it kicks off when I focus my mind), though I've never heard any teacher mention this phenomenon.
If you hang out on Buddhist fora like this you should run into more and more people who have experienced this kind of sensation, like you. That's good that you view this sensation as a "sign of concentratedness" (this is how I have always viewed it too) as it will be easier for you to use this sensation as the focus of a nimitta or sign. That concentrated feeling of mind, which is accompanied by the experience of stronger concentration, means that you have achieved samadhi. Congratulations!
Sweet! Thank you :twothumbsup:
Moog wrote: Could you give any more clues about how to use this to get to Jahna? That would be fantastic!
You must be a female (or at least that's how your response struck me; it's helpful for me to know these things when responding to people's comments). If so, you may find this (learning the practice of jhana) easier to accomplish than most males. That's because most females have a closer connection with their intuition than most males do. Doesn't always work out that way, but on average it pretty much holds true from my experience. Intuition can play a pivotal role in learning the practice of jhana.
Thank you, but I'm male! I am often mistaken for female on forums. I suppose I do have a 'right brained' style, and a reasonably developed intuitive sense.
One of the first bits of instruction I came across several years ago were some tips by the practitioner and teacher Leigh Brasington. The way Leigh teaches the jhanas is that he gets you to stay with the primary object (in my case, the sensation of the breath at the nostrils) until you can sense a pleasant physical sensation somewhere in the body. Then you switch your focus to enjoying that sensation until it expands and tips you into the first jhana. You can learn more about this at the link to his website above.
That's great, thanks! I usually focus on what I've heard called the annapanasati 'spot' and keep my attention there, but perhaps shifting my attention to this sensation would be a good thing to try.
I've written about this practice elsewhere. You can find some helpful hints in The General, All Purpose Jhana Thread in another forum. Enjoy.

All the best,
Ian
I've lurked a little bit on the Dharma Underground, and I've read Daniel's book (well, large chunks of it). Actually, it was that book that really got me going with a proper practice. But I always thought those guys were a bit advanced for me!

I've some more questions about this Jhana business, but I think I'll look at these sites before I pose them.

Thank you for the guidance!

All the best to you!
Calahand

Post by Calahand »

females have more intuition than males? sounds like a lot of "HOOPLA"... :tongue:

and as for "feeling stuff" in the brain? i don't know dude...it doesn't seem right, i am just saying that because i never felt it myself... if its pleasant... who cares what it is, yes?
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Actually the sensation isn't in the brain itself, which has no sensory receptors. We can only sense things in skin, muscle, etc. and the coverings of the brain. It might feel like it's deep in the head, but that's not where it's coming from. It's like when you listen to music on headphones and it sounds like the music is in the center of your head. :-)