who's an ajahn?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dojhana

who's an ajahn?

Post by dojhana »

I've got a few questions about being a teacher and teaching in the theravada tradition. My questions come up in connection with the posture of other traditions toward this matter but I would like to know how this is seen here without comparing.

when is a bhikkhu called ajahn? when does she/he begin to teach? does the bhikkhu/bhikkhuni decide when to do it or is there any other one who decides for him/herself?

What is the role of the teacher anyway in the Theravada tradition?

Is there anything like a lineage? (my first impression is no, but I've noticed how certain groups present themselves as "practicing in the line of Ajahn Chah or Ajahn Bram or Ajahn Sumedho...)

Anjali,

david
david
Snowmelt

Re: who's an ajahn?

Post by Snowmelt »

Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Sumedho are students of the late Ajahn Chah. All are members of the Thai Forest Tradition. I believe that "ajahn" means "teacher" and is a title given to a monk or nun after nine or ten years of study and practice in a monastery or nunnery. To me, they and others like them are lovely people who have the most peaceful hearts and minds on earth. :) Even more wonderful, they are willing to teach others how to be like them!
Kare

Post by Kare »

Snowmelt wrote:Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Sumedho are students of the late Ajahn Chah. All are members of the Thai Forest Tradition. I believe that "ajahn" means "teacher" ...
That is correct. Ajahn (with slight variations of spelling) is the Thai pronounciation of the Pali word acariya (aacaariya), which means "teacher".
Mettāya,
Kåre
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Ajahn, Acharn, Ajaan, Ajarn, Achaan... it is just a convention really and the Thais have several other terms for more senior (teaching) monks. But in the Western Ajahn Chah community, this term is used for monks and nuns who have 10+ Rains (vassa) or years behind them.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Kare

Post by Kare »

gavesako wrote:Ajahn, Acharn, Ajaan, Ajarn, Achaan... it is just a convention really and the Thais have several other terms for more senior (teaching) monks. But in the Western Ajahn Chah community, this term is used for monks and nuns who have 10+ Rains (vassa) or years behind them.
I've heard a similar explanation for the use of the title "Thera". What is correct? How is the correct usage of these titles, Ajahn and Thera?
Mettāya,
Kåre
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Ajahn is a term of respect for a teacher ~ not necessarily an ordained member of the Sangha, and not necessarily one who is of the male gender.

This is my Abhidhamma Teacher in Bangkok .... Tahn Ajahn Sujin Boriharnwanaket, who, as you see is a female and a lay person. Ordained sangha come to hear her teachings.
http://www.wfb-hq.org/Aj_%20Sujin%202008.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
Last edited by cooran on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Kare wrote:
gavesako wrote:Ajahn, Acharn, Ajaan, Ajarn, Achaan... it is just a convention really and the Thais have several other terms for more senior (teaching) monks. But in the Western Ajahn Chah community, this term is used for monks and nuns who have 10+ Rains (vassa) or years behind them.
I've heard a similar explanation for the use of the title "Thera". What is correct? How is the correct usage of these titles, Ajahn and Thera?
Well, in Sri Lanka (as far as I know) pretty much every monk and novice is automatically called "Thero". In Thailand this word is reserved for really senior monks, but is rarely used in connection with their Pali name as such. According to Vinaya, a Thera is one with more than 10 vassas.

See also
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theranama Sutta
[A Monk] by the Name of Elder
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
dojhana

Post by dojhana »

Thank you for the replay. I actually know the meaning of Ajahn. I'm more satisfied with Ven. (Ajahn? ;) Gavesako's answer; I know from other sources that the title is given after five years or after no fixed time ???

But, again, who decides that you are a teacher?
david
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi dojhana
I think it was Sumedho who was trusted to teach after 5years of being a monk but no mention of how many rains he had done.
there is another thread with a similar discussion on which may shed some light for you.
I know there is an ordination ceremony to become a Dhammachariya but that may just be within one monestery or sect, but I would imagine that a monk would be "given the title" when they were trusted enough to teach or started to teach as far as I can tell their is no actual formula in which the title is used.

With MEtta
Manapa
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill