metta as my main practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mikenz66

Re: metta as my main practice

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:26 am

zavk

Postby zavk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 am

Hi all,

The latest dhamma talk by Ajahn Brahm at the BSWA is on metta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswcrsyG ... annel_page

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 am

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

cooran

Postby cooran » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am

Hello all,

A little more:

In the Numerical Discourses, Chapter of Fours, (IV, 190)

"And how has a monk attained the status of a Brahma? Here, monks, a monk dwells pervading one quarter with a mind imbued with loving-kindness, likewise the second quarter, the third and the fourth. Thus above, below, across and everywhere, and to all as to himself, he dwells pervading the entire world with a mind imbued with loving-kindness, vast, exalted, measureless, without hostility and without ill will. Her dwells pervading one quarter with a mind imbued with compassion ... with altruistic joy ... with equanimity ... without ill will. It is in such a way that a monk has attained the status of a Brahma.

Note to Sutta: The four meditations to be described are known as the Brahma-vihara, "the Divine Abodes', hence a monk who attains them is said to have attained the status of a Brahma (brahmapatta).
Elsewhere the development of the brahma-vihara is called the Path to the company of Brahma (See DN 13, MN 99 etc.)
Again, AA (Anguttara Atthakatha) interprets the text to mean that the monk here is one who has attained arahantship based on the four brahma-vihara.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:19 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

nathan

Postby nathan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 am

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

green

Postby green » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:10 am

non-Buddhists can try to do metta all they want and go hug the hugging ma and other wierd things-- they won't be able to succeed in practicing real metta.

Metta is radiation of good will through the Triple Gem, it is a love of all beings as no different from yourself. The Triple Gem makes one actualize the practice, without which one only pretends to practice metta -- only says the words, but does not know metta.

One who does not have faith in the Triple Gem will not be able to realize metta practice.

I remember trying to do metta without the Triple Gem -- it just didn't work.

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:31 am

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 am

Thank you for that Dhammanando,

I wanted to express something similar but lacked the skill or knowledge to put it so well.

Metta

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

green

Postby green » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 pm

a tibetan monk was up here this week and i took one of the monks from my Wat to go see him talk, it was quite interesting for me because it turned out that his talk was all about "loving compassion" as he put it, but basicly metta, and metta as one's main practice. he didnt reference any sutta/sutras, but everything he taught was just buddhism, no talk of bodhisattvas etc, just letting go of self, of attachments and of metta. it was an odd experience as this sort of thing tends to always happen to me, if i'm interested in a given subject, it just seem to fly into my life. :popcorn:

he talked about how many people in the west are interested in meditation, but that metta was a more powerful practice , and i know many here will doubt that, or argue against that, but i know that from zens of zen practice, much of my meditation never really left the zafu, and i see this in most western zen /mahayana buddhists, and in fact it wasnt until i was practicing theravada on a regular basis that i could really take what happened on my butt and carry into out into the world. maybe western buddhism is somewhat out of whack , i dont know? but also to be fair most western buddhist i meet (in real life not online) seem to be more about being a buddhist than they are about practicing buddhism.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Snowmelt

Postby Snowmelt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm

With Metta

green

Postby green » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 am

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:58 am

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:16 am

Not sure if these have been already posted:
“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:31 am

“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”