Urgent question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Urgent question

Post by Lombardi4 »

I am currently observing Uposatha (for the first time!). However I have plans to go to the gym later today (in fact, in a couple of hours). I know it is not explicitly mentioned in the eight precepts, but — just to be sure — is sport (or any exercise at all) forbidden on uposatha days? Thanks.
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Urgent question

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi Stefan,

Sadhu! I have heard a bhikkhu (can't remember who now, sorry) mention that sport would be prohibited although I don't think exercise would fall under that category. You would be doing it to promote your health not as a form of diversion I presume so I would imagine this would be fine. I would try asking Ven Pesala if h's around but I think you're good. Anumodana on your observance. Sukhi hotu!

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thank you very much, Mike!
Individual

Post by Individual »

With exercise, it also makes a difference: Are you exercising for health (losing weight, etc.) or for the sake of vanity (body-building)?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Individual wrote:With exercise, it also makes a difference: Are you exercising for health (losing weight, etc.) or for the sake of vanity (body-building)?
The former. :smile:
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Exercise, not sports, is a recent activity, one century ago you would either be poor and work hard or be rich and have enough time to dedicate to sports.

I think exercise is important if you spend, as I do, over 10 hours a day sitting in front of a computer.

Competitive sports, in the other hand, can be a sort of intoxication (obsession) that could easily be an obstacle to the practice.

This said, I have no idea if it is acceptable or not while observing Uposatha.
With Metta
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Just got back from the gym... there was music there though... hope that didn't break the 7th precept, did it?
Individual

Post by Individual »

Stefan wrote:Just got back from the gym... there was music there though... hope that didn't break the 7th precept, did it?
If it wasn't yours
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Individual wrote:
Stefan wrote:Just got back from the gym... there was music there though... hope that didn't break the 7th precept, did it?
If it wasn't yours
It wasn't. :smile:
phil

Post by phil »

Stefan wrote:
Individual wrote:
If it wasn't yours
It wasn't. :smile:
If it was "Welcome to the Jungle" you broke all 8 precepts. :lol:

I'm just off to the gym now. Alas, there is a lot of body vanity involved in it for me.... :embarassed:

BTW, congrats for following the eight precepts, well done! I have never done that - yet.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.

What exactly is meant with this?