Collective Kamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
mudra

Re: Collective Kamma

Post by mudra »

Drolma wrote:
thecap wrote:Hi Drolma, interesting topic. Thanks.
Element wrote:If kamma was 'collective', enlightenment would probably be not possible.
Hi Element & all. Isn't that what the Mahayanists claim? Or is it just a choice whether one accepts 'collective kamma' and goes for the Bodhisatta-vows, or otherwise the Arahant path respectively? (Sorry, I'm still learning the diff between Theravada and Mahayana paths. Hope the questions are not misplaced.) Cheers, thecap.
Hi Thecap

I'm sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding the question. You mean do Mahayanists claim that kamma is collective and enlightenment isn't possible? Or Kamma is not collective and enlightenment is possible?

From the poking around I've done with this question, it seems that Mahayanists and Theravadans describe collective kamma (for lack of a better term) the same way.

Best,
Drolma :namaste:
Hi Drolma,

Agreed. From what I have understood in the teachings I received from Tibetan lamas, the view of karma as regards this "collectivity" is not really different in these two schools - pretty much what Peter described above.

Like in the old expression "birds of a feather flock together" - but that doesn't mean when one bird gets shot down they all fall out of the sky. There is obviously still a range/spectrum of karmic ripenings possible even within a group of beings who have (individually) created the same causes.

Even if say all the passengers in a plane crash die, it is absurd to imagine that they would all end up reborn in the same place - which would be the consequence of an 'absolute' collective karma.

Best

M
RAIN

Re: Collective Kamma

Post by RAIN »

just kamma accidental in here? i just post in here some worlds he...
many thing actualy procede whit kamma.. not just bad and wrong, i think ^^