YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bodhisattva Path: Historical Aspects In Theravāda - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

Bodhisattva Path: Historical Aspects In Theravāda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Jechbi

Re: Bodhisattva Path: Historical Aspects In Theravāda

Postby Jechbi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Parth

Postby Parth » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Really appreciate what 'Tilt' said. Plus if everyone in the world decided to become a Bodhisatta then who will those Buddhas in future expound the Dhamma to ! To each his own path.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 am

Hi Tilt,

I think Ven Walpola Rahula is correct- coming from the Sri Lankan background that he does- he based his conclusion on the prevelant view there: respect, veneration, gratitude, confidence in the Sammasambuddha is immense.. and rightly so- here is a man who decided to strive to become a God(like) on earth...

In any case most Sri Lankan temples have a image of the next Buddha - Meteyya Buddha. So it almost seems like a fusion of the theravada and mahayana.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Tilt, the point is that if we are going to discuss another tradition, it's important to explain the language of that tradition in the context in which it was intended. By focusing on the perceived "sectrarian claim" behind the term Hinayana, you are providing an incomplete picture of the other tradition that you are discussing.

As I wrote earlier, in any form of Buddhist practice, the approach we take only is beneficial to the extent that it inclines toward liberation. So I can understand that in a certain context, the term "Hinayana" could be useful to some people as part of a teaching about how to pay attention to one's own practice. And in fact that is how I understand the term "Hinayana," namely, not as part of a teaching aimed at judging others, but rather as part of a teaching aimed at helping one see for oneself.

I am merely suggesting, in the context of this thread, that the underlying teachings of various Buddhist traditions share important elements in common insofar as they offer a path of practice that can incline toward liberation. In my opinion, that's worth remembering. It's easy to get distracted by these "sectarian claims," as you put it.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 am

Greetings,

A whole bunch of posts that had no bearing on the topic have been removed, as have the responses to those off-topic posts.

:focus:

Further off-topic posts may result in disciplinary action.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

revolutionary

Postby revolutionary » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 am

I guess I need to know where you can actually practice aspects of enlightenment and simply not argue over the interpretation of it...... Does that exist on this forum?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

revolutionary

Postby revolutionary » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 am

I see, questions have no place here!
Now I understand the treatment, I wish you well then.

adeh

Postby adeh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Something of interest that may help the discussion:
http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... nalayo.pdf
Adeh.

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:02 am

Thank you adeh!
I'll read anyting by Analyo with great interest. Perhaps this dismal thread has served a useful purpose after all.

edit--there is actually a lot of good information on this thread. I was referring to the activity of the last few days, when it turned weird and sour. But most of that has been scrubbed, which is much for the better.

halaha

Postby halaha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Dear all

I am writing to seek your help to find out where a copy of Ola Manuscript of Pali or Sinhala Kesadhatuvamsa could be found.

Thanking in advance

halaha

halaha

Postby halaha » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am

Further to my earlier query. This manuscript is Chronicles of the Hair Relics of the Buddha.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”