What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kim OHara

Re: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Post by Kim OHara »

...and Tilt eats trolls as well as meece. There is no love, no compassion in that, no empathy in that. :tongue:
Even trolls deserve compassion. :console:
Even trolls can learn.
:namaste:
Kim
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Kim O'Hara wrote:...and Tilt eats trolls as well as meece. There is no love, no compassion in that, no empathy in that. :tongue:
Even trolls can learn.
Kim
"Can".......dont.

I think we should be very careful when promoting meta discussions, and not simply because they are contrary to the forum guidelines...which they are.
But also because they are in my experience often coming from a more subtle ego play which bears a superficial resemblance to compassion, but which i fact often results from more subjective issues...childhood trauma for example. The time when we realise that life is unfair. And that we are just the kiddies to fix it.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

PeterB wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:...and Tilt eats trolls as well as meece. There is no love, no compassion in that, no empathy in that. :tongue:
Even trolls can learn.
Kim
"Can".......dont.
"Often don't" or "usually don't," if you like. I don't think we should rule out the possibility, though.
PeterB wrote: I think we should be very careful when promoting meta discussions, and not simply because they are contrary to the forum guidelines...which they are.
Okay ... :focus:
(as soon as I've commented on your next bit :tongue: )
PeterB wrote: But also because they are in my experience often coming from a more subtle ego play which bears a superficial resemblance to compassion, but which i fact often results from more subjective issues...childhood trauma for example. The time when we realise that life is unfair. And that we are just the kiddies to fix it.
Never crossed what passes for my mind. Really.
I just think that Universal Compassion ought to be, well, Universal, and I often try to say in different ways.
Be well, be happy,
Kim
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

"universal compassion" ? I wouldnt know anything about that. I am just trying to smile at the neighbours occasionally.
Just attempting to be a little less self centred.

:focus:
Riglin

Post by Riglin »

Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would
It has been asked many times, "What happen to those people who have never heard the gospel before they die? Will God, if he exists, send them to hell?"

If the answer is yes, then this Christian God is unjust. I'd not even want to ponder his existence more so to worship him. Christians in their rational mind also believe that God will not send those people who have never heard the gospel to hell.

If the answer is no, then why do the Christians want to spread the gospel? Christians believe that hell awaits all who reject the gospel of God therefore by spreading the gospel to others is liken to putting a curse on others. So many don't accept the gospel after hearing it.

By this understanding and with compassion, Jesuslovesyou should stop evangelizing. If God exists, then the Christians and those who have never heard the gospel before will go to heaven all the same. Why bother to spread the gospel with big possibility of rejection? :sage:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Riglin wrote:
Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would
It has been asked many times, "What happen to those people who have never heard the gospel before they die? Will God, if he exists, send them to hell?"

If the answer is yes, then this Christian God is unjust. I'd not even want to ponder his existence more so to worship him. Christians in their rational mind also believe that God will not send those people who have never heard the gospel to hell.

If the answer is no, then why do the Christians want to spread the gospel? Christians believe that hell awaits all who reject the gospel of God therefore by spreading the gospel to others is liken to putting a curse on others. So many don't accept the gospel after hearing it.

By this understanding and with compassion, Jesuslovesyou should stop evangelizing. If God exists, then the Christians and those who have never heard the gospel before will go to heaven all the same. Why bother to spread the gospel with big possibility of rejection? :sage:

I have heard it from Alister McGrath in a debate with Hitchens that the understanding is that those who dont hear the Gospel will be judged according to their innate morality, while the Gospel is what perfects that morality in those that hear it
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

JesusLovesYou wrote:Wow. I didn't think I'd have to log in again but it does seem like I am still being scorned and it may not stop if I do not clarify. (Convenient picture of mine to the left, huh?) I didn't even say a word for the longest time and I do not even want to count the insults. You can do it for me if you'd like. :wink:
Please be fair.

I know I didn't scorn you, but you don't even mention that.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

One can scorn and still be wholesome

Buddha scorned Sati for his view...
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

"I shall not come to my final passing away, Evil One, until my bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, laymen and laywomen, have come to be true disciples-wise, well disciplined, apt and learned, preservers of the Dhamma, living according to the Dhamma, abiding by appropriate conduct and, having learned the Master's word, are able to expound it, preach it, proclaim it, establish it, reveal it, explain it in detail, and make it clear; until, when adverse opinions arise, they shall be able to refute them thoroughly and well, and to preach this convincing and liberating Dhamma." ~ Maha-Parinibbana Sutta
nathan

Post by nathan »

- great sense of humor, gets the same review from me every time.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Individual

Post by Individual »

In the future, Christianity could become Buddhism and Buddhism could become Christianity.

Because Christians become mindful and ashamed of what they have done to their religion, while Buddhists get hooked (tanha) on words.

It is mindfulness that makes religions great and being hooked on words and concepts that makes them bad.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Riglin

Post by Riglin »

JesusLovesYou wrote:
Do you deny that the Buddha spoke this?
"But, Ānanda, if women had not obtained the Going-forth from the home life into homelessness in the doctrine and discipline made known by the Tathāgata, the holy life would have lasted long, the true Dhamma would have lasted 1,000 years. But now that they have gotten to go forth... this holy life will not last long, the true Dhamma will last only 500 years. Just as a clan in which there are many women and few men is easily plundered by robbers and thieves, in the same way, in whatever doctrine and discipline women get to go forth, the holy life does not last long... Just as a man might make an embankment in advance around a great reservoir to keep the waters from overflowing, in the same way I have set forth in advance the eight rules of respect for bhikkhunīs that they are not to transgress as long as they live." — Cv.X.1
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch23.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to match as to why Jesus had to come to earth after 500 years, doesn't it?
You have completely misunderstood Buddha's words. I'm obliged to show you the right understanding. Looks like you are misled by your pastor, or whoever, who fed you with all these evangelistic garbage.

First thing, you need to understand the the words 'Going-forth' and 'holy life' which means 'the Sangha' (monkhood). With many women in the Sangha, Buddha foreseen a problem arising in celibacy which is an important precept in 'holy life'. Without any remedy, the holy life a.k.a. the true Dhamma, will last only 500 years.

Therefore Buddha set forth in advance the eight rules of respect for bhikkhunīs that they are not to transgress as long as they live. With these new rules in place, the holy life, the true Dhamma is able to last more than 500 years, 1000 years, 2500 years and longer into the future.

So, please go and tell this to your pastors and church members so that they can stop spewing garbage around to win converts.
:sage:
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

JesusLovesYou wrote:only one of us will be correct about who the False Messiah is.
The False Messiah is the externalized image.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Individual

Post by Individual »

Kim, I like this:
Kim O'Hara wrote: Even trolls deserve compassion. :console:
Even trolls can learn.
I do not like this:
It seems to be a contradiction.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra