Future Buddha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
unspoken

Future Buddha

Post by unspoken »

I recalling that Meitreya Buddha, where the previous Buddha said that he is the Buddha of the future, successor of Gotama Buddha. And I search wiki and plenty of information poped up.

So I wondering, was Meitreya Buddha here? Or yet to come? Because in some online context they say about the future buddha "will be" coming here. But if the buddha haven't arrive here, then why would wiki have so much information and have some sculpture of the buddha's image?

If Meitreya "was" here, then.... AM I TOO LATE? WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN ENLIGHTENED?
Individual

Re: Future Buddha

Post by Individual »

It's not important. Who knows when Maitreya might come? Certainly, lots of frauds come and go, and there are lots of people willing to speculate.

If Theravada Buddhism weren't already perfect, one might say that dwelling on Maitreya is something that perhaps ought to be included among the four imponderables.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
bodom

Post by bodom »

As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Metteyya comes only when the Dhamma has died out. I think the Mahayana places this at 5,000 years from the Buddha's paranibbana, which would be the year 4517 which is another 2,506 years from now. In the Theravada there is no set date, but the Dhamma has to be gone from the Earth. Since the Dhamma is still here and flourishing to some extent, Metteyya is not here and will not be here for quite some time. Charlatans who claim to be Metteyya are just that; charlatans.

The Buddha Gotama's dispensation is still with us and we can practice and still learn and progress from his teachings.
Individual

Post by Individual »

bodom wrote:As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

Sounds like eternalism.

Don't practice and you won't be reborn in nice places. You won't be reborn with a mind & body that has a capacity for learning -- like an insect.

The Diamond Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Individual wrote:
bodom wrote:As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

Sounds like eternalism.

Don't practice and you won't be reborn in nice places. You won't be reborn with a mind & body that has a capacity for learning -- like an insect.
I think you are missing Ajahn Chah's point. Sometimes he talks like a Zen master. He is making the point that one should not wait for Meteyya and should practice now, so that one will not have to wander around in samsara for several millennia.
bodom

Post by bodom »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Individual wrote:

Sounds like eternalism.

I think you are missing Ajahn Chah's point. Sometimes he talks like a Zen master. He is making the point that one should not wait for Meteyya and should practice now, so that one will not have to wander around in samsara for several millennia.
Exactly right.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In fact, this is bad advice. It is somewhat like saying, “Don't bother to look after your health and wealth because you will get old and sick whatever you do.” If you don't look after your health and wealth in your youth, you may not even reach old age.

See The Simile of the Birds

If you don't practise in this dispensation you won't meet the Buddha Metteyya at all due to lack of morality, but will be born in one of the eight inopportune places during Metteyya's dispensation. If you cultivate morality, but don't cultivate wisdom, you may meet Metteyya, but you won't be inclined to practise meditation and gain liberation at that time either.

Of course, the best advice is to practise hard so that you gain liberation in this very life, or at least during this Buddha's dispensation — then you won't meet the Buddha Metteyya, but it will only be because you gain parinibbāna before that.

If you practise as hard as you can in this life, but still don't gain liberation in this dispensation, your efforts will stand you in good stead throughout future existences, and if you have enough virtue to meet Metteyya, you will have the ability to gain liberation at that time.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

In the scriptes early scripts it said that 2500 years after Siddharta Goutamo start teaching dhamma vipassana that meditationteqnique and dhamma would return to is origncountry india and so it happened of S N goenka and U bah khin.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
In fact, this is bad advice. It is somewhat like saying, “Don't bother to look after your health and wealth because you will get old and sick whatever you do.” If you don't look after your health and wealth in your youth, you may not even reach old age.
:roll:

I'm sure Chah had a smile on his face when he said that; it's not meant to be taken as literal advice.
Last edited by Viscid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
bodom

Post by bodom »

Bhante, you are misrepresenting and misinterpreting the meaning of Ajahn Chah's statement.

Davids response needs to be repeated as it cuts straight to the heart of what Ajahn Chah was saying:

- BB
Individual

Post by Individual »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Individual wrote:

Sounds like eternalism.

:namaste:

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

Bhikkhu Pesala is conventional.

Ajahn Chah is not.

Both are equally venerable. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.
If it was meant as advice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723