The Buddha's Parinibbāna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bhikkhu Pesala

The Buddha's Parinibbāna

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yesterday or thereabouts is the anniversary of the Buddha's parinibbāna. Traditionally, in Theravāda countries, this event is commemorated on Vesak, but the Pāli texts indicate that the event actually took place in this month, most probably during the new moon.
9. When this was said, the Blessed One spoke to Māra, the Evil One, saying: "Do not trouble yourself, Evil One. Before long the Parinibbana of the Tathagata will come about. Three months hence the Tathagata will utterly pass away."
This conversation with Māra took place during the last Rainy Season that the Buddha spent together with Venerable Ānanda. It was not at the beginning of the Rains, because at that time the Buddha was ill, and only later recovered his health by using meditation. The next event in the Sutta is the assembling of the bhikkhus from around Vesalī at the end of the Rains, and the Buddha's announcement to them that he would pass away in three months. Three months from the last month of the Rains (October) is sometime in January. I say it was probably the new moon rather than the full moon, because the Buddha's statement to Māra was apparently made before the end of the Rains, and because the new moon is a low point during the darkest and coldest month of the year in India.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Individual

Re: The Buddha's Parinibbāna

Post by Individual »

What I find interesting about that passage is the fact that the Buddha shows concern even for Mara.

"Do not trouble yourself."

One could consider Mara to be incredibly evil for all the stuff he does, but still, the Buddha shows compassion for him. Not pity or hatred, but compassion.

Also, venerable Bhikkhu Pesala, I think you meant the Buddha's Maha-Parinibbana. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Arahants enter into Parinibbana, while Buddhas enter into Maha-Parinibbana.

Conventionally, the types of Nibbana should be clearly distinguished, though ultimately they are same.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra