Ordination in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Ricky

Ordination in Thailand

Post by Ricky »

Hi everyone,
I've been living and teaching in Bkk now for seven years and have come to the stage where I would like to develop my practice by going for it and ordaining as a monk. In my youthful 20's I was an anagarika in WPN and then in their English monasteries for a couple of years but didn't take full ordination.

Recently I have realised that time is against me and although I really enjoy teaching, being in a monastic environment would be extremely useful to my wellbeing. This time around older and hopefully wiser I am looking for a Thai temple which also has Western monks living there and also access to meditation teachings and support. My aim is to get a solid foundation in the Vinaya and my emerging meditation practice.

I don't speak Thai but have lived here with no problems so far and don't think of that as an impediment to staying in a monastery. Although I'm English and I know there are many options back home I love Thailand and feel that this is where I would like to ordain.

I appreciate that there are many threads on this topic already but I also know that places and people change so if anyone can give me some advice on a Wat in Thailand that would be conducive to meditation, have teachings and with a small network of foreign monks I would be most grateful.
Anyone out there, especially guys that have gone forth, feel free to weigh in with your opinions :)

cheers Richard
pilgrim

Re: Ordination in Thailand

Post by pilgrim »

Hello Ricky,
Sounds like you are describing Wat Marp Jan
http://wanderingdhamma.wordpress.com/20 ... -marp-jan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Thanks for the link Pilgrim,

I visited there four years ago and it is a beautiful monastery and the location is stunning. Aj Anan was very friendly and accessible but the problem then was a concern with visas and he wasn't in a position to ordain any foreigners as a result. It maybe that this has changed now so I will follow up your suggestion and drop them a line.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ricky wrote:Thanks for the link Pilgrim,

I visited there four years ago and it is a beautiful monastery and the location is stunning. Aj Anan was very friendly and accessible but the problem then was a concern with visas and he wasn't in a position to ordain any foreigners as a result. It maybe that this has changed now so I will follow up your suggestion and drop them a line.
'...the problem then was a concern with visas and he wasn't in a position to ordain any foreigner...'

A strange line...it doesn't quite stack up...he was, and is, in a position to ordain anyone he chooses to...and visas are pretty much unrelated...if I were you I would make a return visit for another attempt, and if that doesn't pan out you could at least make some inquiries to the Caucasian monks for other options...Chiang Mai is another possibility in that it seems (from what I've heard) to attract Caucasian monks...

Good luck finding what you want...
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Hi Ricky.
I am at Wat Sri Boen Ruang in Fang.This is the temple that does the Monk for a month programme.
The Abbott here cannot ordain people as monks but the main temple in Fang can and are happy to do so.
Phra Fred(an english monk)and myself both have our visas in order and know all the paper work involved in getting it.If you are interested then please feel free to contact me.Maybe you could come on the monk for a month programme and see what you think.Phra Fred is the dhamma teacher here for foreigners and I teach vipassana meditation.
Good luck with were ever you may choose.
With metta,
Phra Greg
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Thanks for your advice Appicchato, I will definitely follow up on that as I did enjoy my stay there.

Phra Greg, your Wat sounds interesting and seems to have received alot of good feedback. I will be in touch with you or Fred about a stay in the future

Thanks again for your replies
Richard