teaching styles

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ben

Re: teaching styles

Post by Ben »

Goofaholix wrote: Actually the Goenka retreat is by far the most hands off format I've experienced, I think you're showing your lack of experience of other retreat styles here ;)
I thought I made that abundantly clear by the first line in my post...
I've practiced exclusively under the guidance of SN Goenka since 1985, so I'm not sure whether my observations will be of as much value to you than from someone who has practiced under the guidance of a number of teachers.
My observations were in relation to the teaching style of SN Goenka's 10-day courses and comparing that with the teaching style of his long courses.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

zavk wrote:(Welcome home Ben! :hello: )
Thanks Ed!
Its great to see you here! Great to be back!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hello Ben :)

This is off topic, but could you create a new thread telling how was your experience in Burma, including the pilgrimage?

Metta
Seconded,,,but in your own time Ben... :smile:

:anjali: