YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

across the lines - wrong understanding - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

across the lines - wrong understanding

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jechbi

Re: across the lines - wrong understanding

Postby Jechbi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

mudra

Postby mudra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 am

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:13 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:54 am

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 am

“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:11 pm

_/|\_

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 pm

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

nathan

Postby nathan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Lots of places with lots of room for everyone who is sincere to learn online. Tolerance, patience, humility and forbearance are all learned with practice. Always room to learn better communications skills, there being so many kinds of people. We can probably all improve something about ourselves and not too much about others.
:smile:
live and let learn
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 pm

- Peter

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 am

“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:47 am

- Peter

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 am

Oh, Come O-o-n Tilt!!!! :thinking:

You know there is the truth of the taught daily by the Buddha for 45 years, which was supplanted centuries after He reached Nibbana by truly true teachings for those of superior understand in the , and then there is the the really truly true teachings for those few of superlative understanding in the and then there is the ultimate really truly true teachings for those rare few of priceless understanding in the tradition. :popcorn:

Stop playing games and get over it - oh ye of little ... hang on, that's another fight in another Tradition ... but one, at least, that we Theravadins can all feel superior to. Thank heavens there's one! It's hard being considered the bottom of the heap - no wonder the newbies all want to start with Dzogchen. :stirthepot:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:28 am

Greetings Chris,

Shouldn't Dzogchen be in flashing lights or something?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 am

fig tree

Postby fig tree » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

sparrowhawk

Postby sparrowhawk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 pm

My two cents about it...

In my opinion, the main things two practitioners of Mahayana and Theravada must accept before any conversation are:

Each one considers his tradition best for himself and perhaps (not always) others. Otherwise why would they practice it?

The Theravadins consider Mahayana later developments of the teachings, never revealed by the Buddha, not always accurate and by any means consider Mahayana superior. By the opposite, they consider Theravada more correct.

The Mahayanists consider Theravada teachings incomplete, although extremely wholesome, but philosophically less accurate.

If both accept this and that both are in different circumstances due to the effects of past actions, who is right or wrong matters little when it comes to respect.

There will be differences and incompatibilities. Trying to make all traditions equal is the same as respecting them just because of that, not in spite of their differences. That's just a subtle form of intolerance.

If people ease up, accept the differences and move on, recognizing that there is great virtue in practicing Buddhadharma, whatever it's form, then I believe friendship can consolidate. The subtle doctrinal differences matter mostly to very advanced practitioners. Whatever the result of the practice of these two traditions, it is always excellent compared to our current state... so one will win a Ferrari while another will win a Mercedes. Who knows who will win the Ferrari? Right now we only ride on a broken skateboard.

I believe that practitioners of different, yet outstanding traditions, as Theravada and Mahayana not being able to harmoniously communicate only shows great immaturity. One can criticize the view of each other with fair play, but should be careful when speaking about the path or the practitioner.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 pm

While the post above is probably a more accurate statement of doctrinal differences, I am still not sure why we have to play party politics with our spiritual paths.

I am one individual practicing in my limited way some of the sublime teachings and practices that come under the umbrella of Mahayana Buddhism and more specifically Zen. But really I am just one man trying to make sense of life, accept it, to be with it fully, to bring compassion rather than suffering to it, to help others do likewise and ultimately perhaps awaken to Reality as it is. Where does "my path is superior to yours" fit in here? I fail to see.

Likewise I fail to see how anyone who is sincerely concerned with similar goals would bother with this kind of one-man-upmanship and the various types of party politics - "this is my party line and it is different to yours. Ours is correct!" Better put in more effort, more commitment into my practice and leave all squabbles and sceptical doubts aside!

The Right View is the same in Theravada and Mahayana, so what is there to quibble about?

This is how I see it, I realise others here see it very differently and are probably more serious practitioners than me. I just fail to understand why they bother with this...

_/|\_
_/|\_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”