Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Postby Nibbida » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 pm

It occurred to me that it would be useful to have a separate sub-forum in which people can post retreat information. IMS and Goenka have very well-organized websites that show the scheduled retreats. But I find retreats all the time that that are scattered and infrequent, but would be useful for people to know about. It would also be useful to have a list of different centers to check with for retreat schedules.

Like this one by Richard Shankman, for example:
http://www.mettadharma.org/SamadhiandWi ... il2011.htm

What do you think?
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Re: Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Nibbida

Consider it under discussion between my colleagues and I.
One of us will get back to you with regards to whether it will be implemented.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 am

Good idea I think.
PeterB

Postby Nibbida » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Maybe the "Announcements" section above could be used to post ongoing retreat centers or their changes in schedule (like Goenka centers, Bhante G's Bhavana Society, IMS, etc.), and the posts section below could be used to post the scheduled retreats of certain teachers (e.g. Leigh Brasington, Richard Shankman, etc.), or sporadic events. I don't know if that organization would be better.

This just occurred to me because when I'm looking for a retreat, I feel like I'm on an Easter egg hunt. It's a haphazard search through the internet. And what I come up with is partly due to choice. This would increase one's odds of finding something accessible.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby PeterB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm

There was a similar forum on E sangha which was one of the few forae from which the blood did not have to be hosed down on a regular basis...
PeterB

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:40 am

Greetings Nibbida,

After some consideration, we'd suggest that this would probably be best managed through a "pinned topic" in the Meditation forum.

If you wish, start up a topic outlining some of the centres and retreat info you have that will kick us of, and then a staff member will "pin" the topic, so that it appears in the Announcements section of the Meditation (General) forum, rather than just being in Topics.

If over time this isn't sufficient, we'll consider a separate sub-forum, but for now I think this approach will be sufficient.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box