Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby dhamma follower » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 am

Source: Dhamma friends
Attachments
Devas.JPG
Devas.JPG (377.43 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
dhamma follower
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby Aloka » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm not able to see the pictures - there's a pink strip in dhamma follower's post which says : "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post"

What permissions do I need ?
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby salmon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:51 am

Nice picture.

By any chance you have a link to the original post & file? I'm wondering about the background of the photo...like under what occassion/condition it was taken, etc.

Thanks.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
User avatar
salmon
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:55 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby dhamma follower » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 am

Aloka wrote:I'm not able to see the pictures - there's a pink strip in dhamma follower's post which says : "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post"

What permissions do I need ?


Hi Aloka,

Perhaps the forum technicians might help you. No special permission was required from me !

If not, may be the devas :thinking: ?

Regards,

D.F
dhamma follower
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby dhamma follower » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 am

salmon wrote:Nice picture.

By any chance you have a link to the original post & file? I'm wondering about the background of the photo...like under what occassion/condition it was taken, etc.

Thanks.


Hi Salmon,

The picture was sent to me in an e-mail, in.... vietnamese. It says that sometime on 2010 Nov, This stupa (containing the Buddha tooth relic???) suddenly emitted light. One Srilankese monk was passing by (or afterwards ???) and took the picture. He must have got a good camera then !

Regards,

D.F
dhamma follower
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby kirana » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 am

may i know where the place situated?

im living in srilanka.

thank u.
kirana
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby Aloka » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 pm

dhamma follower wrote:
Hi Aloka,

Perhaps the forum technicians might help you. No special permission was required from me !

If not, may be the devas :thinking: ?

Regards,

D.F


Thanks DF, its happened with some of the other photos posted here in the past, perhaps its something to do with my computer.
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby shjohnk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:58 pm

This really is amzing : Apparently there have been similar manifestations at a temple in China that houses the Buddha's relics. Thanks so much for sharing! :buddha1:
shjohnk
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:19 am
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing :?:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby andre9999 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:57 pm

mr. gordo wrote:I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing :?:


Same here. I see a stupa with a bunch of strings of colored lights hanging off of it. What am I missing?
User avatar
andre9999
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI, US

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Greetings,

I suspect it's the blurry orange things that are allegedly devas?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14674
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby PeterB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:32 pm

:?
PeterB
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby Sherab » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 am

If the monk took only one picture, I would be very sceptical. I would think the normal response on seeing anything unusual would be to take a number of pictures from various angles.
User avatar
Sherab
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby andre9999 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 am

*kirana wrote:may i know where the place situated?

im living in srilanka.

thank u.


So far as I can tell, stupas that look like this are everywhere. This one, judging from the columns, is a small stupa in Mihintale. It is not one of the numerous sites that claim to be a temple of the tooth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihintale

Edit: It's the Thuparamaya. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuparamaya
Last edited by andre9999 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
andre9999
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI, US

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby andre9999 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 am

I tried finding the picture elsewhere, with or without the devas, but I just can't find it. With two million people going to Anuradhapura for Poson, it's just going to be impossible to find that photo.

From the skeptic's point-of-view, you'd think that it would have made more of a splash if that many people were around. But hey, you never know.
User avatar
andre9999
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI, US

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby shjohnk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 am

andrer9999 wrote:I tried finding the picture elsewhere, with or without the devas, but I just can't find it. With two million people going to Anuradhapura for Poson, it's just going to be impossible to find that photo.

From the skeptic's point-of-view, you'd think that it would have made more of a splash if that many people were around. But hey, you never know.


Although the majority of people in Sri Lanka probably take it as given that devas exist, so they probably aren't that surprised. Like UFO sightings in Mexico City, apparently they are so common no one takes any notice, and ghost pictures in Thailand, where, as Ajahn Brahmavamso once said, '(in Thailand) If you say you don't believe in ghosts they'll laugh at you'.

I guess this 'Can't believe it until it hits me over the head' is not prevalent in every culture.
shjohnk
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:19 am
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby salmon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:51 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I suspect it's the blurry orange things that are allegedly devas?

Metta,
Retro. :)


That's what I think they are...you can vaguely see the details of a "being"...however, they look strangely Thai!!
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
User avatar
salmon
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:55 am

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby kirana » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm

andrer9999 wrote:
*kirana wrote:may i know where the place situated?

im living in srilanka.

thank u.


So far as I can tell, stupas that look like this are everywhere. This one, judging from the columns, is a small stupa in Mihintale. It is not one of the numerous sites that claim to be a temple of the tooth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihintale

Edit: It's the Thuparamaya. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuparamaya


wait, wait.
i asked the place situated because i couldn't see the strange light as the tittle "devas pictures in Sri Lanka"

if u can searching at google, may be u can find so many strange light as devas appearances. unfortunately i never searching abt that at google. i have been seen the picture of Somavati Stupa, there are many strange light when they do ceremony of Buddha Jayanti, so many reporter also the people make that photos,before i have that picture, but now i lost it.

in this picture i couldn't see such light as devas appearance, who can help me to explain it?

mettacittena,
kirana
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby andre9999 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm

kirana wrote:wait, wait.
i asked the place situated because i couldn't see the strange light as the tittle "devas pictures in Sri Lanka"

if u can searching at google, may be u can find so many strange light as devas appearances. unfortunately i never searching abt that at google. i have been seen the picture of Somavati Stupa, there are many strange light when they do ceremony of Buddha Jayanti, so many reporter also the people make that photos,before i have that picture, but now i lost it.

in this picture i couldn't see such light as devas appearance, who can help me to explain it?

mettacittena,


As for the videos and things of rays of light and Somawathi Stupa, it looks to me like heat lightning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightning

Maybe it's all devas and things - quite frankly I just don't know. I come from a culture where it's very easy for people to manipulate photos and video, so many westerners end up being skeptical when they see things like this.

http://weirdnewsfiles.com/tag/photoshop-hoax/

Whether this photo is real or not has no impact on whether devas exist or not. It was asked where this stupa was, so I dug it up. It just seems strange to me that with 2,000,000 people in a town, many of which were foreigners on a pilgrimage, no one else would have gotten a picture of it. On the other hand, it could be 100% percent real.
User avatar
andre9999
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI, US

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Postby dhamma follower » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:10 am

salmon wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I suspect it's the blurry orange things that are allegedly devas?

Metta,
Retro. :)


That's what I think they are...you can vaguely see the details of a "being"...however, they look strangely Thai!!


:lol:

Indeed !

Or may be the otherway around. The Thai has their Buddhist art based on vision such this.
dhamma follower
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am

Next

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests