How hard is it to attain supramundane Jhana?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Reductor

Re: How hard is it to attain supramundane Jhana?

Post by Reductor »

Strive wrote:I'm mainly interested in jhana because I heard that it helps suppress the hindrances and leads to the destruction of the taints.
I've found it very helpful to think the opposite: suppression of the hindrances support jhana, and jhana supports the destruction of the taints.

So when you meditate focus on establishing mindfulness in your breath, posture, etc. Then, when the mind seems distracted into a hindrance, that is the time to contemplate in such a way that the hindrance passes away. Once done you then return your attention to your object.

After enough practice you'll find that mindfulness comes much easier and you are more easily able to dispel the hindrances. When this is the case you will find that directing your mind into jhana is not so hard. But, in the beginning, cultivate patience and contentment with sitting mindfully. If you can do that your more than half way there.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

thereductor wrote: I've found it very helpful to think the opposite: suppression of the hindrances support jhana, and jhana supports the destruction of the taints.

So when you meditate focus on establishing mindfulness in your breath, posture, etc. Then, when the mind seems distracted into a hindrance, that is the time to contemplate in such a way that the hindrance passes away. Once done you then return your attention to your object.

After enough practice you'll find that mindfulness comes much easier and you are more easily able to dispel the hindrances. When this is the case you will find that directing your mind into jhana is not so hard. But, in the beginning, cultivate patience and contentment with sitting mindfully. If you can do that your more than half way there.
Good overall advice, thereductor. :thumbsup:

Well worth paying attention to and cultivating.

Also, Nathan's post has many good insights (if you can wade through his verboseness ;) )
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

IanAnd wrote: Good overall advice, thereductor. :thumbsup:
:anjali:
Strive

Post by Strive »

Thanks for the advice thereductor, I will keep that in mind.
:anjali:
"Faith is here a man's best treasure;
Dhamma practised well brings happiness;
Truth is really the sweetest of tastes;
One living by wisdom they say lives best."--Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta Nikaya, Sagathavagga verse 853
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

What is this? : . Supramundane jhana is supportive of very refined satipatthana, vipassana and other practices, for examination of the asavas and development of the higher paths.
vipassana i know but what is satipatthana?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Villkorkarma,

Satipattana is the direct path to realization:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vipassana is a component of the satipatthana. I would say development of Right View, Sila and Samadhi are other components.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha