Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
shjohnk

Re: Devas Pictures in Sri Lanka

Post by shjohnk »

andrer9999 wrote:I tried finding the picture elsewhere, with or without the devas, but I just can't find it. With two million people going to Anuradhapura for Poson, it's just going to be impossible to find that photo.

From the skeptic's point-of-view, you'd think that it would have made more of a splash if that many people were around. But hey, you never know.
Although the majority of people in Sri Lanka probably take it as given that devas exist, so they probably aren't that surprised. Like UFO sightings in Mexico City, apparently they are so common no one takes any notice, and ghost pictures in Thailand, where, as Ajahn Brahmavamso once said, '(in Thailand) If you say you don't believe in ghosts they'll laugh at you'.

I guess this 'Can't believe it until it hits me over the head' is not prevalent in every culture.
salmon

Post by salmon »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I suspect it's the blurry orange things that are allegedly devas?

Metta,
Retro. :)
That's what I think they are...you can vaguely see the details of a "being"...however, they look strangely Thai!!
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
kirana

Post by kirana »

andrer9999 wrote:
*kirana wrote:may i know where the place situated?

im living in srilanka.

thank u.
So far as I can tell, stupas that look like this are everywhere. This one, judging from the columns, is a small stupa in Mihintale. It is not one of the numerous sites that claim to be a temple of the tooth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihintale

Edit: It's the Thuparamaya. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuparamaya
wait, wait.
i asked the place situated because i couldn't see the strange light as the tittle "devas pictures in Sri Lanka"

if u can searching at google, may be u can find so many strange light as devas appearances. unfortunately i never searching abt that at google. i have been seen the picture of Somavati Stupa, there are many strange light when they do ceremony of Buddha Jayanti, so many reporter also the people make that photos,before i have that picture, but now i lost it.

in this picture i couldn't see such light as devas appearance, who can help me to explain it?

mettacittena,
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

kirana wrote:wait, wait.
i asked the place situated because i couldn't see the strange light as the tittle "devas pictures in Sri Lanka"

if u can searching at google, may be u can find so many strange light as devas appearances. unfortunately i never searching abt that at google. i have been seen the picture of Somavati Stupa, there are many strange light when they do ceremony of Buddha Jayanti, so many reporter also the people make that photos,before i have that picture, but now i lost it.

in this picture i couldn't see such light as devas appearance, who can help me to explain it?

mettacittena,
As for the videos and things of rays of light and Somawathi Stupa, it looks to me like heat lightning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightning

Maybe it's all devas and things - quite frankly I just don't know. I come from a culture where it's very easy for people to manipulate photos and video, so many westerners end up being skeptical when they see things like this.

http://weirdnewsfiles.com/tag/photoshop-hoax/

Whether this photo is real or not has no impact on whether devas exist or not. It was asked where this stupa was, so I dug it up. It just seems strange to me that with 2,000,000 people in a town, many of which were foreigners on a pilgrimage, no one else would have gotten a picture of it. On the other hand, it could be 100% percent real.
dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower »

salmon wrote:

Metta,
That's what I think they are...you can vaguely see the details of a "being"...however, they look strangely Thai!!
:lol:

Indeed !

Or may be the otherway around. The Thai has their Buddhist art based on vision such this.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

dhamma follower wrote:
salmon wrote:

Metta,

Indeed !

Or may be the otherway around. The Thai has their Buddhist art based on vision such this.
Maybe the Devas came down for a visit.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

[/quote]

That's what I think they are...you can vaguely see the details of a "being"...however, they look strangely Thai!![/quote]

Indeed !

Or may be the otherway around. The Thai has their Buddhist art based on vision such this.[/quote]

That's what I think too. It actually increases the believability of these pics that they were taken in Sri Lanka and the devas 'look Thai'. That's probably what they (devas) look like!
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:tantrum:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I can see the photo now and the devas look like pasted on cutouts. It looks really fake to me. Sorry.

Just as as aside, the lights on the stupa remind me of Xmas fairy lights !
plwk

Post by plwk »

Nice pic dhamma follower :coffee:
Indeed !
That's what I think too. It actually increases the believability of these pics that they were taken in Sri Lanka and the devas 'look Thai'. That's probably what they (devas) look like!
Maybe we can ask them for their passports... :lol:
:tantrum:
:hug: :jumping:
Maybe the Devas came down for a visit.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

plwk wrote:Image
Hubba-hubba. I shall now become a devi worshipper.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think thats a Diva..not a Deva...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:I think thats a Diva..not a Deva...
That would be devi and I know a goddess when I see one. Om yoni, om yoni, om yoni, ah.

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The "ah " is important I find.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

PeterB wrote:The "ah " is important I find.

With Ahem! as an alternative ?