your home altar/shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
texastheravadin

Re: your home altar/shrine

Post by texastheravadin »

I think you need to worry less about what the Invisible Buddhist Shrine Police think and just be happy with the fact that you're doing your best to set aside a small place for contemplation :smile:

There's no way I can get my Buddha rupa any higher above my head. First off, it's a standing Buddha, and it's 18 inches tall, and 4 inches wide, so I'm terrified it's going to fall over. Also, my altar is a small dresser stand I inherited from my grandmother when I moved out...it's very narrow, and I barely have enough space to hold the standing Buddha, a candle, incense and burner, flowers, a tiny sitting Buddha, and two Dhamma books (the Dhammapada and In The Buddha's Words).

I think it's the thought that counts. I don't have the money or space to set up an elaborate, Thai-style shrine like the ones at the wat, with beautiful hand carved, multiple shelved altars and golden Buddha rupas everywhere. I just do the best I can. I can't face it directly east, so I have it facing Northeast-ish. I can't get lotuses down here, so I use roses.

Besides, the point is that your shrine is uniquely you!

:anjali:

josh
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

*laughs* I wasn't actually too worried, I just wanted to pre-empt any comments with respect to the height of the buddha image. (=
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
son of dhamma

Post by son of dhamma »

Right click and select "view image" to see full image, please.
Simple Dhamma shrine. Incense urn, burner, tea cup for water or tea, candles, Buddha statue, picture of Buddha and disciples under Bodhi Tree, holy water (water from a spring where a powerful deva lives) which I bless by virtue of merit, charm blessed by friend who is a monk, spirit candle (unlit), book and small mala.
Attachments
shrine my.jpg
shrine my.jpg (438.31 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

VictoryInTruth wrote:My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:
I like everything on that shrine. Nice. :thumbsup:
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

VictoryInTruth wrote:My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:
Nice shrine, nice colors. :)
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

octathlon wrote:
Nice shrine, nice colors. :)

Thanks. :smile:
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

thereductor wrote:
I like everything on that shrine. Nice. :thumbsup:
Thank you. :smile:
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

heres mine :tongue:

adeh

Post by adeh »

Such beautiful altars...here's mine...Adeh...
Attachments
day of the dead 135.JPG
day of the dead 135.JPG (56.61 KiB) Viewed 8530 times
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Hi everyone...I came across another Buddha statue that had such a serene look to his face that I had to buy it so that it would remind to keep up with my meditation and not give up. I also got an unusual Buddha batik tapestry image as well. So here is how my altar looks now.

adeh

Post by adeh »

Nice batik....
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have resembled my shrine, with some extra bits!
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=75
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=76
what is on the shrine
and I can not remember where I would post this but here is the Buddha relic I told Ben about
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=77
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
David2

Post by David2 »

Nice explanation grahpic. :thumbsup:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

it isn't a formal arrangement or anything, but the black disk in the last image is about the size of a standard coaster.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill