Siddhartha (novel) & Herman Hesse

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
tiltbillings

Re: Siddhartha (novel) & Herman Hesse

Post by tiltbillings »

Annapurna wrote:Ouch....

;) Since when are poets "right" or "wrong", Sir Tilt?
When they make truth claims.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:It could be the translation as Hesse was not a native english speaker.
Probably is still drivel in it its native German.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Assiduous and busy, care-ridden and light-hearted, intelligent and yet thoughtless, these butterflies lived a life at once childlike and raffiné; independent, not to be bought by every one, finding their account in good luck and fine weather, in love with life and yet clinging to it far less than the bourgeois, always ready to follow a fairy prince to his castle, always certain, though scarcely conscious of it, that a difficult and sad end was in store for them."
— Hermann Hesse (Siddhartha)
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:Good morning tiltbillings :-)

I guess that makes you a real good day:
Nope, haven't ever been a day as far as I can remember.

andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

tiltbillings wrote:

There is no self to be a day.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

andrer9999 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

There is no self to be a day.
Oh, happy day.

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

"...inasmuch as every man takes the sufferings that fall to his share as the greatest."
— Hermann Hesse (Steppenwolf)
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:"...inasmuch as every man takes the sufferings that fall to his share as the greatest."
— Hermann Hesse (Steppenwolf)
One's suffering does tend to be rather important to one, but I think "every man" is also quite capable of empathy, recognizing that the suffering next door could be a great deal worse.

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:Are you sure? Me not, I think it is the same problem with wisdom. Suffers more, suffers less - knows more knows less ...
Oh, dear. You have been reading way too much Hesse.

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:So what do you think? Are you suffering more as I? Or I am wiser as you?
Damdifino, since I can not see you, hear you, but I do see others whose suffering is far greater than mine. It is a basic human trait.

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:What makes you believe that somebody else is suffering more than you?
What makes you think they are not? Are you so bereft of empathy, compassion that you would ask such a question?

alan

Post by alan »

Hi meindzai. I also read Alan Watts as a teen and oh boy did I think he had it all figured out. He was my hero for a year or two. Embarrassing to admit it now...but it did inspire me on towards more serious study later. There must be some value in that.

Sorry, no Hesse quotes. Back to you, Hanzze.