Why are we?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Tragition

Why are we?

Post by Tragition »

Does Buddhism teach what the purpose of our existence is?

If I understand correctly, we are in a cycle of birth and death in samsara until we reach nibbana. But why? What is our purpose in being?
plwk

Re: Why are we?

Post by plwk »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Some questions have no direct answer. The root cause is ignorance and the proximate cause is craving. The Simile of the Poisoned Arrow is helpful here.

"It's just as if a man were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. His friends & companions, kinsmen & relatives would provide him with a surgeon, and the man would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the man who wounded me was a noble warrior, a priest, a merchant, or a worker.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know the given name & clan name of the man who wounded me... until I know whether he was tall, medium, or short... until I know whether he was dark, ruddy-brown, or golden-colored... until I know his home village, town, or city... until I know whether the bow with which I was wounded was a long bow or a crossbow... until I know whether the bowstring with which I was wounded was fiber, bamboo threads, sinew, hemp, or bark... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was wild or cultivated... until I know whether the feathers of the shaft with which I was wounded were those of a vulture, a stork, a hawk, a peacock, or another bird... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was bound with the sinew of an ox, a water buffalo, a langur, or a monkey.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was that of a common arrow, a curved arrow, a barbed, a calf-toothed, or an oleander arrow.' The man would die and those things would still remain unknown to him.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Tragition wrote:Does Buddhism teach what the purpose of our existence is?

If I understand correctly, we are in a cycle of birth and death in samsara until we reach nibbana. But why? What is our purpose in being?
I don't think so.

Better to assume that life has no purpose, the search for a purpose is just a product of craving and creates suffering, acceptance that life is it's own purpose frees you to make the most of life.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Why?
Damned if I know.

But what I do know, is that I'm subject to stress, dissatisfaction, and suffering. And if I could end that, I wouldn't really care one way or the other about those abstract questions. And apparently, there is a way to end it. So, guess I'll do that.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I think that it's because it's possible for us to. We can be, therefore we are.

Whatever's possible exists. My tentative position.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Individual

Post by Individual »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Some questions have no direct answer.
:thumbsup:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
bodom

Post by bodom »

We were born to do battle with the defilement's and to strengthen our mindfulness and discernment. - Upasaka Kee Nanayon
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Tragition wrote:Does Buddhism teach what the purpose of our existence is?
Who says there has to be one? Or is it simply that we want there to be some purpose?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Ah, the eternal question ... porquoi? (sounds better in French don't it?)

I've been asking that question since I was 4 years old and I have no bloody clue. But when I find out who's responsible ...!

From snowy Mt. Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
alan

Post by alan »

life wants to live. We evolved.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

bodom wrote:
We were born to do battle with the defilement's and to strengthen our mindfulness and discernment. - Upasaka Kee Nanayon
:anjali:
She's a pistol all right... :thumbsup:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

We evolved.
Mmm...evolving?...
alan

Post by alan »

Unlikely. We'll kill ourselves, or the planet, before any significant new evolution happens.
budo

Post by budo »

Why do we need a reason for being? Why does their have to be meaning?

Is their meaning in a piece of dirt? a ball of dust? no it's just a clump of matter. Why would their be a purpose to life? Who says their has to be? The purpose of your life is just as much as purposeful as a clump of mud's life.

If you ask, why is their life then? Well, one could ask, why is their no-life then? You can ask "Why" at everything, but sometimes the answer is "there just is."