Gods in the Canon

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
green

Re: Gods in the Canon

Post by green »

Manapa wrote:
green wrote:I

I thought "in the canon" would of been clear enough in the General Theravada Discussion section?
I am asking a specific question in regard to the theravada canon, not another tradition, or being, and how others percieve a word doesn't mean much to in regard to what the question about what the canon is saying the Buddha considdered about that being!

about which being? God(s) or (God) in the Theravada canon?

By God(s) then the Theravada Canon is quite clear by it's definition in the devata anusati.

By "God" and how the Pali Canon defines it, please read the "Titles of Buddha" thread in this forum...this has all the titles of Buddha used in the Pali Canon. :anjali:
Cittasanto

Re: Gods in the Canon

Post by Cittasanto »

green wrote:
Manapa wrote:
green wrote:I

I thought "in the canon" would of been clear enough in the General Theravada Discussion section?
I am asking a specific question in regard to the theravada canon, not another tradition, or being, and how others percieve a word doesn't mean much to in regard to what the question about what the canon is saying the Buddha considdered about that being!

about which being? God(s) or (God) in the Theravada canon?

By God(s) then the Theravada Canon is quite clear by it's definition in the devata anusati.

By "God" and how the Pali Canon defines it, please read the "Titles of Buddha" thread in this forum...this has all the titles of Buddha used in the Pali Canon. :anjali:
Hi Green
please have a look at the title to which is used.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill