are animals that kill reborn in hell?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
budo

are animals that kill reborn in hell?

Post by budo »

Do the animals that kill, such as lions,tigers,snakes,scorpions,sharks,crocodiles,eagles,hawks,hyenas,etc.. are they reborn in hell?
PeterB

Re: are animals that kill reborn in hell?

Post by PeterB »

Perhaps they already have been.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I believe that a tiger that has during its lifetime a mind state of an average tiger will likely be reborn as a tiger. And they were born as tigers in the first place because that was close to their mind state in the previous life. Very difficult for a tiger to be a 'good' tiger or a 'bad' tiger.
budo

Post by budo »

PeterB wrote:Perhaps they already have been.
So does that mean they will return to hell again once they kill again? Like an infinite loop, if they become a crocodile, they go back to hell, then are reborn as a tiger, go back to hell. This only stops when they are reborn as a non killing creature?
budo

Post by budo »

Taco wrote:I believe that a tiger that has during its lifetime a mind state of an average tiger will likely be reborn as a tiger. And they were born as tigers in the first place because that was close to their mind state in the previous life. Very difficult for a tiger to be a 'good' tiger or a 'bad' tiger.
So what if one is reborn as a human that is in a cannibalistic society, and it is "average" for people to kill each other and eat each other, does that mean they will be reborn as cannibals?

So karma is then relative to society?
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I dont think in such literal terms Budo.
budo

Post by budo »

PeterB wrote:I dont think in such literal terms Budo.
Does that mean you hunt? If you do not think in literal terms, then do you act in literal terms?
Taco

Post by Taco »

budo wrote:
Taco wrote:I believe that a tiger that has during its lifetime a mind state of an average tiger will likely be reborn as a tiger. And they were born as tigers in the first place because that was close to their mind state in the previous life. Very difficult for a tiger to be a 'good' tiger or a 'bad' tiger.
So what if one is reborn as a human that is in a cannibalistic society, and it is "average" for people to kill each other and eat each other, does that mean they will be reborn as cannibals?

More is expected from humans because of their higher intelligence and sense of morality. If that would be how all humans behaved, humans would be just an other species of savage animals, with no understanding of right and wrong. And Gotama as bodhisatta would still be in the heavens waiting for a better time and more developed species on earth.

Just my own speculations... :)
budo

Post by budo »

Taco wrote:
budo wrote:

More is expected from humans because of their higher intelligence and sense of morality. If that would be how all humans behaved, humans would be just an other species of savage animals, with no understanding of right and wrong. And Gotama as bodhisatta would still be in the heavens waiting for a better time and more developed species on earth.

Just my own speculations... :)
This is reasonable, but that means that karma is controlled by something intelligent. Something intelligent enough to know "this species is not capable of high intelligence, therefore it will be reborn in the same plane".

Maybe the question I am asking cannot be answered, as perhaps the inner workings of karma is unknowable.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Kamma is intention and I think it's different from instinct. The actions of higher beings are more about intentions and the actions of lower beings are more about instincts. Instincts don't produce kammic consequences and the lower beings have to wait for a lottery jackpot to be reborn in the higher planes of existence. I trust that they filled out some coupons in their countless previous lives. Not sure though if any of this is the correct Theravada view. :lol:
Chiggala Sutta: The Hole
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

It might be worthwhile to read the Causes of different rebirths as taught in the Suttas by the Buddha:

Rebirth
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... ml#rebirth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

budo wrote:
Maybe the question I am asking cannot be answered, as perhaps the inner workings of karma is unknowable.
Quite so, I think, Budo.

The Buddha said we should not think about the intricate details of kamma too much, -only a supreme Buddha can see it clearly.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Without intending to derail this thread, I think a far more pressing question is "what do I need to do to be saved from a future rebirth in hell - or any of the woeful realms?"
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

You are right, and we have a clear message too. :smile: