The Lotus - Getting there.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ceisiwr

Lotus position

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ive being trying to get into this position but find it impossible, has anyone else had this trouble?

Anyone know any good stretching tips?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
zavk

Re: Lotus position

Post by zavk »

Hi Craig,

There's really no need to get into the lotus position, or even the half lotus. I've read about meditators who have caused serious, irreversible damage to their joints after years of forcing themselves into the lotus position. Please do not hurt yourself!

Take care,
zavk

EDIT: I should say that I have rather flexible limbs, so I'm able to sit in the half lotus comfortably. But I don't think there's anything 'magical' about the posture. My teacher just sits cross-legged and I can confidently say he is an accomplished meditator!
Last edited by zavk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I have no ability or interest in mastering any Lotus position.

Hell, I can't even touch my toes... not even close.

Enlightenment comes through the disentangling of the mind, not the tangling of legs.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Tex

Post by Tex »

If I can ask a parenthetical question without derailing the thread -- I've read more than once, on other more general Buddhism sites, that the full lotus position "has benefits" -- I assume they're talking about posture benefits, or do they mean something else, something more mystical or spiritual or that this particular position is more conducive to meditative attainments and so on?

I only ask because if there isn't a very compelling reason to sit full lotus then I'll continue to have no interest in attempting it.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tex,

Apparently it has stability / centre-of-balance benefits.

Other Buddhist traditions might also give explanations involving energy flows and such.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Enlightenment comes through the disentangling of the mind, not the tangling of legs.
:thumbsup:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

How to Grow a Lotus: http://zenmontpellier.site.voila.fr/eng ... useng.html

The Zennists are very good if you need advice on sitting posture.

:buddha1:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

retrofuturist wrote:Enlightenment comes through the disentangling of the mind, not the tangling of legs.
Tex wrote:If I can ask a parenthetical question without derailing the thread -- I've read more than once, on other more general Buddhism sites, that the full lotus position "has benefits" -- I assume they're talking about posture benefits, or do they mean something else, something more mystical or spiritual or that this particular position is more conducive to meditative attainments and so on?

I only ask because if there isn't a very compelling reason to sit full lotus then I'll continue to have no interest in attempting it.
This has always been my response to the issue. The most important position in meditation is that of the mind, not the legs. But it does not seem as if the OP in this case was obsessing over it, they just wanted to give it a try and see.

This position is not one I am able to negotiate either. I have actually gone so far as to have friends of mine sit in this position in front of me and I would watch what order they did this and that to get into the position. We also talked about where tension was being felt when moving into it.

I've read this too and have understood possible posture benefits to be conducive with respect to the duration of sessions. As for benefits into the latter realm you describe, I have always wondered the same thing but not come across anything to that effect. It would not be surprising to hear that such a position, especially taking center of gravity and body symmetry into account, would be conducive to energy flow and what have you. This is not to say that it is requisite, of course.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

good posture makes for good blood flow so your legs dont fall asleep, thats about the only reason i would recomend lotus or 1/2 lotus, actually im not really sure how i sit, it might be burmese, or half lotus, i can do full lotus but it hurts my ankles... but i have muscular legs so maybe my thighs are too big? i dont know... no teacher i've had has ever said anything about my legs, and i've had strict teachers, they've always been more concerned with sitting up straight...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have trouble sitting in the Burmese style never mind the lotus, my knee muscles discoordinate in that posture but there is a video on you tube somewhere
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ravana

Post by Ravana »

I believe Hindu yogis believe that the lotus position has mystical powers, but as far as I know Buddha never mentioned any special properties of the position. So aside from the increased stability, I don't think there's much to be reaped from it.
“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”
nathan

Post by nathan »

I am comfortable in the posture. It is about equally comfortable to several looser variants. I am most comfortable in the posture when sitting relatively motionless the longest. It has real advantages for circulation and postural support beyond an hour and is the only comfortable posture after about three hours. I can see how this posture is a relatively stable base for long term periods of jhana and long periods of vipassana. It is not suitable at all for many people and I don't think it is suitable for anyone when there is extensive tension in the legs, circulation is very poor or if there are unsuitable conditions in the body such as after various kinds of injuries. Unless you feel the need for long sitting I don't think there is a significant advantage to developing the posture unless you want to. There are looser postures that are comfortable enough for sitting periods of an hour or less. I find hour long sits with stretching and walking intervals are as effective as longer periods of only sitting.

If using this posture or a variant of it the important thing is to have a solid base at the base of the spine on the floor and no elevation of the hips. That should sit as flat as possible. The pelvis should be held up straight and the rest of the spine rests naturally on that with a slight s curve. It is important to align the neck well too. This all settles in better on long sits and that is one advantage of long sits but if you are not willing to confront some fairly incredible forms of pain then don't push the long sits. The pain is not going to harm you but it is what happens when you sit still for a long time. It has a net effect that is very beneficial but it is not a practice for the meek.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks for the link Bhante

There's really no need to get into the lotus position, or even the half lotus. I've read about meditators who have caused serious, irreversible damage to their joints after years of forcing themselves into the lotus position. Please do not hurt yourself!

I wont force my body into it (looks like it cant do it anyway lol) just wanted to try and get into it to see if it has any greater benefits than my current sitting position, just out of curiosity really

Metta

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I found this article to be very interesting.

"Zazen is a "proper posture required" practice, and if you don't do zazen in the proper posture you are missing out on 90% of the practice."
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
nathan

Post by nathan »

That is an interesting article. Very 'Zen' attitudes all around. I thought after reading it that I should add that the pain I referred to is a result of any posture that is held still for a long time. I do think that lotus does more than most postures to manage that pain from remaining still during vipassana, or zazen if you like, but I don't think lotus just makes that phenomena disappear somehow. I would agree with the writer that there is much to recommend it for extended use during vipassana or for 'themeless' meditations. I also continue to think that it is not as significant a practical priority for many people as the writer seems to be insisting. Any good posture and good technique is a step in the right direction and given the misuse of the body that is so endemic these days and especially in the affluent parts of the world it is not surprising that evolving appropriately into a more suitable posture is likely to take some time and consistent commitment to that effort. Taking a less cautious approach is not something I would recommend to most people given what is usually fairly obvious about their physical conditions. With gentle exploration and patient attention any posture is probably possible. Some kind of more comprehensive practices like yoga and so on go a long ways to hastening that development in the most beneficial ways. Aside from a gentle paced development, forcing anything to change in the body is something I would discourage because unless the difference between stress and trauma is very clear one can fail to discern the important differences and this has a cumulative significance for the resultant conditions in the body.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}