Buddharupa

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DhammaDan

Buddharupa

Post by DhammaDan »

Hi all,

So I'm thinking about starting a Buddhist organization at my school and have been looking for a Buddharupa to go along with the practice. I've had enough trouble looking for one for a personal altar, mostly because of cost.

So for the group I'm interested in finding something much like the main figure of the Mahabodhi temple or a reconstruction of the Gupta Dhammacakka Buddha at temple. I just find these (or something like them) very inspiring and appropriate for a congregational practice.

Would anyone happen to know where I can find similar figures for a decent price? Or even if anyone knows of a good shop for commissioning work. Thanks for your time! :anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Buddharupa

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You might consider printing a poster instead. It is much cheaper, easier to carry around, and to store. Just find any image that you like and have it professionally printed at A0 or A1 size. Add some dowel sticks and strings so that it will hang straight, and roll up neatly.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thats a very good idea venerable!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I use to use a poster they aren't that expensive, and I don't really like the statues that can be gotten in stores, they seam wrong some how?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Manapa wrote:I use to use a poster they aren't that expensive, and I don't really like the statues that can be gotten in stores, they seam wrong some how?
Interesting comment. Do these statues seem wrong as in the design is unauthentic/ungenuine and for commercial as opposed to spiritual pursuit, or wrong in that people are commercializing the concept of Buddhism?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I supose it is the design, it just looks un-natural, it may just be the way they are made but there is something wrong somehow?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Manapa wrote:I supose it is the design, it just looks un-natural, it may just be the way they are made but there is something wrong somehow?
Haha...Alright. I get what you mean. I'm sure we've all seen statues that just didn't click to us.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SeerObserver wrote:
Manapa wrote:I supose it is the design, it just looks un-natural, it may just be the way they are made but there is something wrong somehow?
Haha...Alright. I get what you mean. I'm sure we've all seen statues that just didn't click to us.
I particularly don't like the nipples on some of them! very similar to your avatar in look but gold.

John Stuart Mill
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Manapa wrote:
SeerObserver wrote:
I particularly don't like the nipples on some of them! very similar to your avatar in look but gold.
Haha...Thanks for that particular detail.
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

I agree that a lot of rupas don't really..."click" with me either. Tis why I often find myself more attracted to devotional paintings.

That is certainly a great idea, Bhante. Thank you! I'll be sure to look into some posters!