A video of my friends ordination.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

A video of my friends ordination.

Postby anenglishmaninbkk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:58 am

My dear and well travelled Thai friend's day as he became a monk,

I thought you might like this...

anenglishmaninbkk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:53 am

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Guy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

He looks very happy to be in the robes! :D
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
User avatar
Guy
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby phil » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:31 am

What a joyful video, thank you. Made my day.
I hope that every time I post it will be accompanied by a wish for the wellbeing of everyone in this sangha and all beings.
(so I don't have to write "metta" every time!)


Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Northernbuck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:03 am

Wonderful! What a joyous occasion. Thank you for sharing.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
Northernbuck
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby cooran » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:35 am

Happy video - even if it took me several hours to download here in Oz :tongue:

(Made me long to be in BKK again - used to go to the Dhamma Study and Support Foundation in Thonburi a few times a year.)

Did Tiko ordain for life - or intending it to be a shorter period?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7379
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby anenglishmaninbkk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Thank you for you comments.

He is ordained for life.
anenglishmaninbkk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:53 am

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby phil » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:37 pm

I would guess your friend is around 50? Is it common for men that age to ordain for life, or at retirement age? Almost unheard of here in Japan, as far as I know...
I hope that every time I post it will be accompanied by a wish for the wellbeing of everyone in this sangha and all beings.
(so I don't have to write "metta" every time!)


Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:06 pm

phil wrote:I would guess your friend is around 50? Is it common for men that age to ordain for life, or at retirement age? Almost unheard of here in Japan, as far as I know...

For some men here in Thailand,this is a time when they can ordain long term.The children have finished school and the financial needs of the family are not so great.
What is the usual ordination age in Japan,and is it true that a Japanese buddhist priest can marry after a number of years and have a family?Can they have a job while they are priests,like some(many?)monks in the Tibetan tradition do?This may explain some of the cultural differences in buddhism in different countries.
With metta,
Phra Greg
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
User avatar
Phra Chuntawongso
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Wat SriBoenRuang,Fang,Chiang Mai

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby phil » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:36 am

Phra Chuntawongso wrote:
phil wrote:I would guess your friend is around 50? Is it common for men that age to ordain for life, or at retirement age? Almost unheard of here in Japan, as far as I know...

For some men here in Thailand,this is a time when they can ordain long term.The children have finished school and the financial needs of the family are not so great.
What is the usual ordination age in Japan,and is it true that a Japanese buddhist priest can marry after a number of years and have a family?Can they have a job while they are priests,like some(many?)monks in the Tibetan tradition do?This may explain some of the cultural differences in buddhism in different countries.
With metta,
Phra Greg


Dear Bhante,

Thanks for your information, and inquiry re Japan. I find the idea of men retiring into ordainment very inspiring. To avoid making uncharitable comments, I should refrain from saying too much about Japanese Buddhism, because I don't know as much as I should, but what I do know is very...uninspiring. I'm afraid that after living in Japan for 15 years, I have only met three Japanese people (and I have met hundreds and hundreds through my work) who are passionate about Buddhism, and their sects are modern sects started in this century by charismatic leaders and are in my opinion more like cults. Almost all the Japanese people I have talked to about Buddhism seem completely dissinterested, it's all about money, they say. You would be very, very hard pressed to find Japanese people who know what the precepts are, for example. In most brnaches of Buddhism I believe priests do marry and drink alcohol and often drive Mercedes Benz and whatnot, living in luxury. I beleive there are some branches of Zen and others that are purer. But I have never met nor heard of a man retiring into ordination, though I'm sure it must happen and certainly did historically, and women becoming nuns. There is a very popular and beloved nun who was a scandalous novelist in her youth before ordaining in middle age and now is one of the best and most inpsiring speakers on Buddhism.

This is just my viewpoint, may be inaccurate. I do love Japan deeply, but to enrich my life as a Buddhist, I am planning to retire in Thailand in about 5 years. I know there are corruptions of Dhamma there too, but this video reminded me how much closer the people are to the Dhamma. Thank you again to the Englishman in Bangkok for providing it...

Thank you again Bhante.
I hope that every time I post it will be accompanied by a wish for the wellbeing of everyone in this sangha and all beings.
(so I don't have to write "metta" every time!)


Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby effort » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:56 pm

cool but i just can not find any video here!
User avatar
effort
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:32 am

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Ytrog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 am

effort wrote:cool but i just can not find any video here!


Me neither, but I'm browsing from my phone. Maybe my phone doesn't show it (android btw).

EDIT

Forget what I said. I just saw the video and he sure looks happy in the robes. It's humbling and inspiring. :anjali:

I dind't know they shaved their eybrows until I saw this video btw.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.


mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments


If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
User avatar
Ytrog
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands, near Arnhem

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Indra Deva » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 pm

On the OP's video, what's going on at 7:00 - 7:30? Are they donating stuff to the monks?
"This is not mine. I am not this. This not my permanent Self" - Siddhattha Gotama
User avatar
Indra Deva
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby nalandaleong » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 am

sadhu sadhu sadhu for sharing this most educational and enlightening video.
Just wished that the actual audio sound of the occasion had been played which will make it more authentic.
May Bhante Tiko's path towards Nibbana be speedy, smooth and joyful
and may bountiful merits be accrued to all who have shared in this auspicious occasion.

Metta,
nalandaleong
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 am

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

nalandaleong wrote:sadhu sadhu sadhu for sharing this most educational and enlightening video.
Just wished that the actual audio sound of the occasion had been played which will make it more authentic.
May Bhante Tiko's path towards Nibbana be speedy, smooth and joyful
and may bountiful merits be accrued to all who have shared in this auspicious occasion.

Metta,


Now you mention his name i have a question for Anenglishmaninbkk: is Tiko his pre- or post-ordination name and if it's the former: what is his post-ordination name? _/\_
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.


mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments


If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
User avatar
Ytrog
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands, near Arnhem

Re: A video of my friends ordination.

Postby JimKai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Thank you for this video, very happy to have seen this
:namaste:
User avatar
JimKai
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland


Return to Ordination and Monastic Life

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests