YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Uposatha Observance Club - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

Uposatha Observance Club

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dhammapal

Re: Uposatha Observance Club

Postby dhammapal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:10 am

I’ve got a bad cold today so I took the evening meal because I was sick. I was wondering about whether to use a high bed because I was sick, then found that I actually felt better if I got up and sat in meditation posture (on a special Alexander Technique forward-sloping chair). There was a strong tendency for my posture to collapse so I made maintaining the sitting posture the whole meditation (“Just Sitting”). Then I realized I could meditate on the sound of the breathing (rather than the sensations in my throat) in order to breathe well.

Thanks for listening.

With metta / dhammapal.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:28 am

Sadhu! Incidentally, today is the Full Moon Uposatha - Pavāraṇā Day. Congratulations to Manapa as he is taking anagarika precepts today! Sukhitaa hontu!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Uposatha - New Moon

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:14 am

Tomorrow is the New moon uposatha. I don't know if I'll be observing having been sick on and off for a month but for anyone else who might I wanted to let you all know. May you all meet with success. Sukhitaa hontu!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Tomorrow: Full Moon - Ānāpānasati Day

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Hey everyone,

Tomorrow is an uposatha day, Ānāpānasati Day in fact. Here's a little information for those of you interested in observing:

At the end of one rains retreat (vassa), the Buddha was so pleased with the progress of the assembled monks that he encouraged them to extend their retreat for yet another month. On the full-moon day marking the end of that fourth month of retreat, he presented his instructions on mindfulness of breathing (anapanasati), which may be found in the Anapanasati Sutta (MN 118) — The Discourse on Mindfulness of Breathing.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Last Quarter Mooon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 am

Tomorrow is the last quarter moon uposatha day according to the Thai Dhammayut calendar. May all who observe obtain great fruit and benefit. Sukhitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

New Moon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello All,

Today is the New Moon uposatha (according to the Thai Dhammayut calendar). May all who are observing reap great fruit and benefit! Sukhitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

First Quarter Moon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 am

Hello All,

Today is the first quarter moon uposatha day. Please find links to suttas about the uposatha below and may your day be a frutiful one! Sukhitaa hontu!

l
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Full Moon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:41 am

Hello All,

Sorry for the late notice but today is the Full Moon Uposatha. May those who are observing gain great fruit and benefit. If anyone uses Facebook we have an online club dedicated to observing the uposatha regularly. Bhikkhu Cintita posts a weekly uposatha contemplation there as well and many have found it to be a useful tool in their practice. The link is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&ref=ts

Sukitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

First Quarter Moon - Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello All,

Tomorrow is the First Quarter Moon - Uposatha observance. For those of you who might not yet know it is a time to recommit yourself to practice through undertaking the 8 precepts and putting mre attention on dana, sila and samadhi. Anyway, I wish everyone (observant and non) true happiness and I'l be around (virtually) for moral support. Sukhitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

dhammapal

Postby dhammapal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 am

Today is Uposatha Full Moon. I live with my parents and fast in the afternoon once a month. I had told my Dad (and he gives me a holiday from the washing up) but Mum didn't know and got upset because she was going to cook vegetarian pasta for me. If I had my time again I would have postponed my fasting to tomorrow (Sydney Australia is 19 hours ahead of California anyway). And I later found out that my Dad's friend is coming over tonight for a chat so I won't be able to do silent walking meditation.

Khalil Bodhi

Last Quarter Moon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 am

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:15 pm

I will not observe it today. I'm still recovering from an illness.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 pm

JimKai

Postby JimKai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello,

I requested to join the group, hopefully you will accept!

I don't have a local sangha to observe Uposatha with, so looking forward to this very much!
:namaste:

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:10 pm

I am making a strong determination to observe the 5 precepts & hold puja with meditation the next uposatha day. :anjali: Almost every observance falls during a weekday, so I have to work. But, thank you for encouraging this practice.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:10 am

Sadhu! :goodpost:
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Wizard in the Forest

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 am

Happy Magha Puja day, I just wanted to express my appreciation to everyone for your kind friendship. (^_^) I will be observing the precepts. Sadhu :anjali:
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

Khalil Bodhi

First Quarter Moon - Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:04 am

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Full Moon Uposatha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 am

Hello All,

Tomorrow is the Full Moon Uposatha! May all beings well well, happy and peaceful! Sabbe sattaa sukhitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”