The Buddha Chat diaspora.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The Buddha Chat diaspora.

Postby fivebells » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 am

So, I imagine things have settled down a bit since the lights went out. Where's happening? (Apart from here, of course...)
fivebells

Re: The Buddha Chat diaspora.

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 am

Welcome Fivebells... could you elaborate on precisely what you're looking for?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby fivebells » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 am

Hi again, retro. I'm looking for Buddha Chat replacements. Places with high traffic and interesting discussions. This seems like a candidate. I'm asking about others, because a lot of people must have gone searching by now.
fivebells

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:28 am

Greetings Fivebells,

Okey doke... which Buddhist tradition are you most interested in?

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Yeshe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am

fivebells wrote:Hi again, retro. I'm looking for Buddha Chat replacements. Places with high traffic and interesting discussions. This seems like a candidate. I'm asking about others, because a lot of people must have gone searching by now.

Hi. I think you may be disappointed.

Aside from E Sangha I don't think there are any others with the level of activity you describe.
Many on BC who were most active would not be drawn to that place, I surmise. ;)

Zen Forum International is gaining members and is probably the most lively aside from this forum.
The Buddhist Lounge, Dharma Cloud and Mindful Arts still have a very small membership which also overlaps a lot.

There are Yahoo groups, but these also seem quiet.

Where have they all gone?

Well, thinking about it, the number of members at BC who posted regularly was quite small.

As with all such things, the 'market' is limited, and some sites may close or merge.

Dhamma Wheel and ZFI are best placed as they have more of a focus than the others.

I would recommend perhaps Tricycle as a site which is interesting to explore, as there are activities and blogs etc. which I find interesting.
Yeshe

Postby fivebells » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:47 pm

retro: I don't care about what tradition someone is.

Upasaka: Thanks for the pointers. That's the kind of information I'm looking for, although that's not the news I was hoping to hear.
fivebells

Postby Will » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm

This one may not qualify as "high" traffic, but it does have interesting exchanges:

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/discussio ... b879a8b191
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Will wrote:This one may not qualify as "high" traffic, but it does have interesting exchanges:

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/discussio ... b879a8b191

13,000 articles and only 43 on Theravada?! Wow, that one is sure popular for Mahayanists, but apparently not for Theravadins. Don't know much about, just that really struck me how there could be so few posts in Theravada . . .
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Upasaka wrote:Where have they all gone?

To the other shore.

Join us here on the Dark side. :jedi: :twisted: Join us puthujjanas.

(Sorry, it must be a full moon.)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Aloka » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Although I haven't got high traffic (221 members but a lot less posting regularly) people are welcome to come and have a look here to see if they'd like to join. Some of the BuddhaChat people are members.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/

I'm an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner myself, but as well as newcomers and TB's, Theravadins and Zen practitioners are very welcome indeed - because I'd very much like to have a balance between the traditions. I've got Theravada and Mahayana forums (as well as other forums) waiting to be filled! So if anyone wants to , please come along and start some discussions or add to previous ones.

Kind wishes to all,

Dazzle
Aloka

Postby Yeshe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Dazzlebling wrote:Although I haven't got high traffic (221 members but a lot less posting regularly) people are welcome to come and have a look here to see if they'd like to join. Some of the BuddhaChat people are members.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/

I'm an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner myself, but as well as newcomers and TB's, Theravadins and Zen practitioners are very welcome indeed - because I'd very much like to have a balance between the traditions. I've got Theravada and Mahayana forums (as well as other forums) waiting to be filled! So if anyone wants to , please come along and start some discussions or add to previous ones.

Kind wishes to all,

Dazzle

Apologies:

I have to sound a note of caution here. Like E-Sangha, this site bans certain sects and topics, so as a matter of principle I will not be supporting it.

Of course, a site owner may do as they wish, but exclusion of others (for example because the Dalai Lama dislikes them exposing his oppression of Shugden supporters within the Gelug Tradition) is not something Buddha ever taught, as far as I know. ;)

I don't wish to start a debate, merely to state the situation as I see it. ;)
Yeshe

Postby Aloka » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Upasaka,

I think its only fair that I should be allowed to address what you have said. The code of conduct states that as the site supports HHDL, and while wishing them well. it is not really a suitable place for NKT.

Discussion about NKT is discouraged because I have members who have been traumatised by their experiences with them and wish to move on. The issue has been 'flogged to death' on other forums.

While I enjoyed being a member of BC most of the time, I found the astonishing ill will and name-calling that erupted now and then, very saddening. Particularly in the last few days of the site.
At BWB there is at present a very gentle and caring atmosphere and I'd like to keep it that way. If people don't like our code of conduct then that's fine. I wish everyone well.

Buddha advised us to associate with virtuous friends, which is why I have mentioned my group here.
People can of course,take it or leave it!

Thank you for reading my post

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
Aloka

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:29 pm

i think this board does pretty well, maybe not as many posts as say e-sangha, but i only ever read a few posts a day over there because most didnt interest me at all...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Wu-Wei » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Here's a nice little site.

http://www.zenforuminternational.org

The mods are quite reasonable & easy going ( unlike some OTHER online dharma forums )

Also, for some "odd" reason E-Sangha BLOCKS the url from being posted on its site :shrug:
Last edited by Wu-Wei on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wu-Wei

Postby Fede » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:27 pm

www.newbuddhist.com.

I am a Mod. there, so I can tell you without any bias or preference, it's a really nice little website....! :P
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby thecap » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Friends, you're all welcome to join http://buddhaforum.org/

:namaste:
thecap

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Gosh, everyone has started their own dhamma group. Maybe I should start one. Membership limited only to people who gree with everything I say. Both of you. :lol:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby thecap » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Bubbabuddhist wrote:Gosh, everyone has started their own dhamma group. Maybe I should start one. Membership limited only to people who gree with everything I say. Both of you. :lol:

J

Dear friend, with respect - most of them are either sectarian (like DW, ZFI), or they are cliquey and thus not very newcomer-friendly.

So there is no real alternative to the big grey forum.

That said, BuddhaForum.org supports our brothers and sisters in the Dhamma here and at BWB.

The only requirement is Right Speech. You're very welcome to join and to help out with your Dhamma skills.

:namaste:
thecap

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Greetings Thecap,

Further to your response to BubbaBuddhist's question...

I'm wondering, from your perspective what differentiates the scope or intention of your new forum, from an established forum like New Buddhist which Fede referred to above? They seem very similar in intent to me, and in many respects the New Buddhist site actually seems less sectarian in that it doesn't have separate forums for the various sects. Interesting to note that New Buddhist seems to be running quite successfully, so there is indeed an audience for that kind of offering... a good sign for your site.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Journey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Bubbabuddhist wrote:Gosh, everyone has started their own dhamma group. Maybe I should start one. Membership limited only to people who gree with everything I say. Both of you. :lol:

J

:rofl:
Journey

Next

Return to Lounge