The Buddha Chat diaspora.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
fivebells

The Buddha Chat diaspora.

Post by fivebells »

So, I imagine things have settled down a bit since the lights went out. Where's happening? (Apart from here, of course...)
retrofuturist

Re: The Buddha Chat diaspora.

Post by retrofuturist »

Welcome Fivebells... could you elaborate on precisely what you're looking for?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Hi again, retro. I'm looking for Buddha Chat replacements. Places with high traffic and interesting discussions. This seems like a candidate. I'm asking about others, because a lot of people must have gone searching by now.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fivebells,

Okey doke... which Buddhist tradition are you most interested in?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Yeshe

Post by Yeshe »

fivebells wrote:Hi again, retro. I'm looking for Buddha Chat replacements. Places with high traffic and interesting discussions. This seems like a candidate. I'm asking about others, because a lot of people must have gone searching by now.
Hi. I think you may be disappointed.

Aside from E Sangha I don't think there are any others with the level of activity you describe.
Many on BC who were most active would not be drawn to that place, I surmise. ;)

Zen Forum International is gaining members and is probably the most lively aside from this forum.
The Buddhist Lounge, Dharma Cloud and Mindful Arts still have a very small membership which also overlaps a lot.

There are Yahoo groups, but these also seem quiet.

Where have they all gone?

Well, thinking about it, the number of members at BC who posted regularly was quite small.

As with all such things, the 'market' is limited, and some sites may close or merge.

Dhamma Wheel and ZFI are best placed as they have more of a focus than the others.

I would recommend perhaps Tricycle as a site which is interesting to explore, as there are activities and blogs etc. which I find interesting.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

retro: I don't care about what tradition someone is.

Upasaka: Thanks for the pointers. That's the kind of information I'm looking for, although that's not the news I was hoping to hear.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This one may not qualify as "high" traffic, but it does have interesting exchanges:

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/discussio ... b879a8b191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote:This one may not qualify as "high" traffic, but it does have interesting exchanges:

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/discussio ... b879a8b191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
13,000 articles and only 43 on Theravada?! Wow, that one is sure popular for Mahayanists, but apparently not for Theravadins. Don't know much about, just that really struck me how there could be so few posts in Theravada . . .
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Upasaka wrote: Where have they all gone?
To the other shore.

Join us here on the Dark side. :jedi: :twisted: Join us puthujjanas.

(Sorry, it must be a full moon.)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Although I haven't got high traffic (221 members but a lot less posting regularly) people are welcome to come and have a look here to see if they'd like to join. Some of the BuddhaChat people are members.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner myself, but as well as newcomers and TB's, Theravadins and Zen practitioners are very welcome indeed - because I'd very much like to have a balance between the traditions. I've got Theravada and Mahayana forums (as well as other forums) waiting to be filled! So if anyone wants to , please come along and start some discussions or add to previous ones.

Kind wishes to all,

Dazzle
Yeshe

Post by Yeshe »

Dazzlebling wrote:Although I haven't got high traffic (221 members but a lot less posting regularly) people are welcome to come and have a look here to see if they'd like to join. Some of the BuddhaChat people are members.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner myself, but as well as newcomers and TB's, Theravadins and Zen practitioners are very welcome indeed - because I'd very much like to have a balance between the traditions. I've got Theravada and Mahayana forums (as well as other forums) waiting to be filled! So if anyone wants to , please come along and start some discussions or add to previous ones.

Kind wishes to all,

Dazzle
Apologies:

I have to sound a note of caution here. Like E-Sangha, this site bans certain sects and topics, so as a matter of principle I will not be supporting it.

Of course, a site owner may do as they wish, but exclusion of others (for example because the Dalai Lama dislikes them exposing his oppression of Shugden supporters within the Gelug Tradition) is not something Buddha ever taught, as far as I know. ;)

I don't wish to start a debate, merely to state the situation as I see it. ;)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Upasaka,

I think its only fair that I should be allowed to address what you have said. The code of conduct states that as the site supports HHDL, and while wishing them well. it is not really a suitable place for NKT.

Discussion about NKT is discouraged because I have members who have been traumatised by their experiences with them and wish to move on. The issue has been 'flogged to death' on other forums.

While I enjoyed being a member of BC most of the time, I found the astonishing ill will and name-calling that erupted now and then, very saddening. Particularly in the last few days of the site.
At BWB there is at present a very gentle and caring atmosphere and I'd like to keep it that way. If people don't like our code of conduct then that's fine. I wish everyone well.

Buddha advised us to associate with virtuous friends, which is why I have mentioned my group here.
People can of course,take it or leave it!

Thank you for reading my post

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i think this board does pretty well, maybe not as many posts as say e-sangha, but i only ever read a few posts a day over there because most didnt interest me at all...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Wu-Wei

Post by Wu-Wei »

Here's a nice little site.

http://www.zenforuminternational.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mods are quite reasonable & easy going ( unlike some OTHER online dharma forums )

Also, for some "odd" reason E-Sangha BLOCKS the url from being posted on its site :shrug:
Last edited by Wu-Wei on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

http://www.newbuddhist.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I am a Mod. there, so I can tell you without any bias or preference, it's a really nice little website....! :P
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;