Preperation for Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Future Bhikkhu

Preperation for Ordination

Post by Future Bhikkhu »

When I am of an allowable age I plan to become fully oradained. Is there anything that I can do to make it easier to live as a monk. Is it benefcial to learn pali? Does it help to have some formal eduacation? Is it best travel the world first? and so on...
The mind is everything; what you think you become.
-The Buddha
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: Preperation for Ordination

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Future Bhikkhu wrote:When I am of an allowable age I plan to become fully oradained. Is there anything that I can do to make it easier to live as a monk. Is it benefcial to learn pali? Does it help to have some formal eduacation? Is it best travel the world first? and so on...
Hi there. You have a few years before you can ordain as a Bhikkhu.The first thing that is important right now is to try and keep the 5 precepts.Don't beat yourself up if you slip up on this sometimes.
Pali can be useful so that you can read the suttas without a translation,but you will probably find translations quite useful anyway.
When you have time,I would suggest doing a few retreats.There are places in Aussie where you can do this.
Something else to consider is learning a foreign language if you are thinking of ordaining outside of Australia.
Remember that a monks life is not an easy life.We are called upon to do many different things at times and it is a seven days a week commitment.
As you get a little older you may get the chance to spend some time in a temple and witness first hand the lifestyle.
Meantime may I suggest you get into the habit of meditation.You don't need to be a monk to progress on the path.
With metta,
Phra Greg
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Future Bhikkhu

Post by Future Bhikkhu »

Thankyou for your reply, I find it very helpful. :D

I am guessing that you know thai, is that true. If you do, is it easy to learn?

And thankyou again because although I didn't expect a monk to be part of the forum it has made my heart is full with joy.

With metta,

Aaron

:anjali:
-The Buddha
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Aaron,

Have you talked with any Bhikkhus? There are many Wats that you can visit in and around Melbourne, and I think it's a lot more useful to meet some actual Bhikkhus than to just read about the Dhamma:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=2

I can't get the link to paste here properly when I check "Theravada", but you can do that yourself when you get to that page...

Mike
Strive

Post by Strive »

Stay away from sharks (women), one bite and it can lead to your death or deadly suffering in the holy life!
"Faith is here a man's best treasure;
Dhamma practised well brings happiness;
Truth is really the sweetest of tastes;
One living by wisdom they say lives best."--Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta Nikaya, Sagathavagga verse 853
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Future Bhikkhu wrote:When I am of an allowable age I plan to become fully oradained. Is there anything that I can do to make it easier to live as a monk. Is it benefcial to learn pali? Does it help to have some formal eduacation? Is it best travel the world first? and so on...
Spend quality time, a few months or more, living in various monasteries and retreat centres to get a better idea what the life is like and where you want to ordain.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

A personal question: have you spoken to your parents and how do they feel about it? It seems such a young age to already be pondering ordination, especially in a non-Buddhist country like Australia. Just curious. :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Future Bhikkhu

Post by Future Bhikkhu »

You are right to be curious. I havn't told my parent (father) as he is very rascist. I have told everybody around me, so he might have guessed. If I told him that I am Buddhist he would think of all the superstitious rituals that go on in asia and think that is what Buddhism is all about. I would therefore need to explain the religion to him but he wouldn't want to listen to all that. I do, however, realise that he must know of my ordination for me to become ordained so I do plan to tell him. Hopefully he will respect my descision more as I grow up.

Tough life being Buddhist in melbourne!

With metta

-The Buddha
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Ytrog wrote:A personal question: have you spoken to your parents and how do they feel about it? It seems such a young age to already be pondering ordination, especially in a non-Buddhist country like Australia. Just curious. :)
Good question.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

I would suggest you start learning the language of the country you wish to ordain in (assuming not Australia??). This should include learning how to read. This would come in very handy if you were to go to Thailand, for example, as you could then read Pali chanting books in Thai script and also be able to study courses in Buddhism and Pali etc with the local monks.

Also try to go on a few trips over there while you can. It can take a look of the appeal off the idealised concepts you may have at the moment. Try staying in a Temple for a while and get a feel for it. It is not easy, you will be eaten by mosquitoes, smelly from washing in cold water and sweating so much, and not being able to use deodorant! Also it will be stressful not eating the usual foods, strange language, customs, habits etc.

Good luck.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi there.

I had a very solid drive when I was 15 to ordain. I knew it so clear in my heart - Or so I thought. That was 5 years ago. I still feel I will ordain, but increasingly I feel that it may be 5 or even 10 years before I am really mature enough to make that commitment. I don't presume to know your personality but perhaps my own experience can provide you with some food for thought.

Things must take their natural course. If you're anything like I was you may even feel some frustration right now that you can't just be 20 and get it all sorted. It helps to remember if that's the case that robes and a bald head are just outer form. While they offer significance and meaning to those who wish to take that step, getting ordained doesn't make you a better yogi unto itself, the goal is simply to provide the most conducive environment for achieving progress in the Noble Eightfold Path. Those who wish to be monks and live the holy life for the right reasons are deserved of veneration and respect because of the difficulty of the life that they pursue. Living the life of a monk is very easy to romanticize from the comfort of the living room.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

BlackBird wrote:Living the life of a monk is very easy to romanticize from the comfort of the living room.
GOLD! :thumbsup: