[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - your home altar/shrine

your home altar/shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: your home altar/shrine

Postby texastheravadin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I think you need to worry less about what the Invisible Buddhist Shrine Police think and just be happy with the fact that you're doing your best to set aside a small place for contemplation :smile:

There's no way I can get my Buddha rupa any higher above my head. First off, it's a standing Buddha, and it's 18 inches tall, and 4 inches wide, so I'm terrified it's going to fall over. Also, my altar is a small dresser stand I inherited from my grandmother when I moved out...it's very narrow, and I barely have enough space to hold the standing Buddha, a candle, incense and burner, flowers, a tiny sitting Buddha, and two Dhamma books (the Dhammapada and In The Buddha's Words).

I think it's the thought that counts. I don't have the money or space to set up an elaborate, Thai-style shrine like the ones at the wat, with beautiful hand carved, multiple shelved altars and golden Buddha rupas everywhere. I just do the best I can. I can't face it directly east, so I have it facing Northeast-ish. I can't get lotuses down here, so I use roses.

Besides, the point is that your shrine is uniquely you!

:anjali:

josh
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12
texastheravadin

Postby Viriya » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:43 pm

*laughs* I wasn't actually too worried, I just wanted to pre-empt any comments with respect to the height of the buddha image. (=
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Viriya

Postby son of dhamma » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:54 am

Right click and select "view image" to see full image, please.
Simple Dhamma shrine. Incense urn, burner, tea cup for water or tea, candles, Buddha statue, picture of Buddha and disciples under Bodhi Tree, holy water (water from a spring where a powerful deva lives) which I bless by virtue of merit, charm blessed by friend who is a monk, spirit candle (unlit), book and small mala.
Attachments
shrine my.jpg
shrine my.jpg (439.82 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.
son of dhamma

Postby VictoryInTruth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:10 am

My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:

VictoryInTruth

Postby Reductor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:39 pm

VictoryInTruth wrote:My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:

I like everything on that shrine. Nice. :thumbsup:
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby octathlon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm

VictoryInTruth wrote:My first newbie post with a picture of my simple little shrine.... :anjali: :buddha1:

Nice shrine, nice colors. :)
octathlon

Postby VictoryInTruth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

octathlon wrote:

Nice shrine, nice colors. :)

Thanks. :smile:
VictoryInTruth

Postby VictoryInTruth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm

thereductor wrote:

I like everything on that shrine. Nice. :thumbsup:

Thank you. :smile:
VictoryInTruth

Postby gingercatni » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

heres mine :tongue:

gingercatni

Postby adeh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Such beautiful altars...here's mine...Adeh...
Attachments
day of the dead 135.JPG
day of the dead 135.JPG (56.77 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
adeh

Postby VictoryInTruth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi everyone...I came across another Buddha statue that had such a serene look to his face that I had to buy it so that it would remind to keep up with my meditation and not give up. I also got an unusual Buddha batik tapestry image as well. So here is how my altar looks now.

VictoryInTruth

Postby adeh » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:00 am

Nice batik....
adeh

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:00 pm

I have resembled my shrine, with some extra bits!
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=75
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=76
what is on the shrine
and I can not remember where I would post this but here is the Buddha relic I told Ben about
http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/16#photo=77
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Nice explanation grahpic. :thumbsup:
David2

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:23 pm

it isn't a formal arrangement or anything, but the black disk in the last image is about the size of a standard coaster.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Hickersonia » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 am

My shrine is probably put to shame (in more than one manner) by the others shared here, but I suppose I could share it anyway. I am a man of fairly meager means (at least in my opinion), so I hope it doesn't seem too simple or even "silly."

I've had most of it set up for a little while now, with the backdrop Dharmachakra set up today after seeing a couple of your shrines and realizing that I could make something relatively simply that would fill the space in the back. The red books to the right and left were printed and bound at home using basic craft materials and online resources that I have found useful in my practice (I made a similar book that lives in my car). The pedestal is also a homemade creation from a wire basket, ribbon, and yarn.

The placement of it is not ideal, but it is what I consider a reasonable compromise between having to place it someplace worse (cold, dark, sometimes wet basement) or not having it set up at all -- my wife is not Buddhist and I am trying to be considerate in how I express myself so far as my own religious beliefs are concerned so as to not make her terribly uncomfortable. She works at a Lutheran church/preschool and her and her family are members of that church, so I imagine the situation could get really weird for her if not approached in the proper manner. All this said, much of the materials I used were offered freely by her for my creative expressions in setting up my shrine, so I do imagine a much more proper, and ornate, display in the future as I progress and mature in my practice.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Postby dhamma_newb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 am

Hi Hickersonia,

I think it is beautiful. :thumbsup: Speaking of simple, here's my shrine:

It's a work in progress. I picked up the Buddha statue at an art shop in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware a couple of years back while I was stationed on the East Coast. I bought it as decoration for my apartment and never thought that some day it would be a part of my spiritual practice. It's traveled with me from the East Coast back home to Hawai'i in one piece (I believe it's made of soapstone and it's pretty fragile). I'm not sure where the statue was made. The card with the yellow lotus is from the bhikkhunī who performed my Refuge ceremony. The red lotus in the Buddha's hand is an origami that my friend made for me.
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
dhamma_newb

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Hickersonia
I think it is really nice!

how did you bind the Book? it is something I am interested in myself.
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 am

Very nice shrines, Cittasanto, Hickersonia and Dhamma_newb!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Fede » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 am

Ok.
I really don't mean this to be so hopelessly off-topic, but i have pictures in my files, to post and show...
but how do I attach them?
I looked at the 'forum instructions' but you need a url address or something... what's the url address to a personal photo - ?
i can post photos on other websites by adding an attachment, but it's not possible here...?
I tried by using the [img] formatting thingy on the toolbar.....
no dice...
I'm flummoxed.....
i'm also about as much of a technical fudgewit as it's possible to be, so answers with words of no more than 2 syllables will do nicely, thanks.... :namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

PreviousNext

Return to Shrine Room