The way of insight

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
starter

The way of insight

Post by starter »

Hi teachers/friends,

I'm pondering about the following:

""The practice of continuously noticing the object as it becomes evident — that alone is the way of insight. I must go on with just the work of noticing." This decision is called purification by knowledge and vision of what is path and not-path." [Progress of Insight]

I can understand the importance of noticing/labeling the object, which is the practicing of mindfulness. But is it alone the way of insight? I thought clear comprehension and investigation of dhamma, in addition to mindfulness, are the way of insight.

Welcome your advice and comments. With metta,

Starter
Goofaholix

Re: The way of insight

Post by Goofaholix »

starter wrote:""The practice of continuously noticing the object as it becomes evident — that alone is the way of insight. I must go on with just the work of noticing." This decision is called purification by knowledge and vision of what is path and not-path." [Progress of Insight]

I can understand the importance of noticing/labeling the object, which is the practicing of mindfulness. But is it alone the way of insight? I thought clear comprehension and investigation of dhamma, in addition to mindfulness, are the way of insight.
If you interpret "that alone is the way of insight" to mean "that is the only thing you do" then yes like you I'd disagree with that statement. However I'm not sure he's saying that, perhaps he means "that alone is the entrance/starting point to the way of insight".
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Mindful & Alert (Sati and Sampajanna). Stay mindful, monks, and alert. This is our
instruction to you all. And how is a monk mindful? There is the case
where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent,
alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to
the world. He remains focused on feelings... mind... mental qualities
in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed &
distress with reference to the world [§213]. This is how a monk is
mindful.

And how is a monk alert? There is the case where feelings are known
to the monk as they arise, known as they persist, known as they
subside. Thoughts are known to him as they arise, known as they
persist, known as they subside. Discernment (vl: perception) is known
to him as it arises, known as it persists, known as it subsides. This
is how a monk is alert. So stay mindful, monks, and alert. This is
our instruction to you all.
— SN 47.35

Hope that clarifies it. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Matheesha,

Thanks for the helpful quotes. My biggest problem is with thoughts, which I can hardly control. I spit this thread into a new topic:

How to become more alert of the thoughts' arising?

Metta,

Starter
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

starter wrote:Hello Matheesha,

Thanks for the helpful quotes. My biggest problem is with thoughts, which I can hardly control. I spit this thread into a new topic:

How to become more alert of the thoughts' arising?

Metta,

Starter
Some people find shifting to cittanupassana helpful- that is focusing on the mind, waiting for thoughts to arise. This practice has an effect of purifying the mind of weak defilements, like the ones which give rise to thought. If you like to I can send you a little booklet I have written called 'The Path of Practice'. It discusses tips and methods of working with anapanasati. Sometimes there are no quick fixes for these things. You just have to be patient until your mind settles - and that will take some time when the mind is yet to be tamed. This takes viriya and true determination. The Path will change you as a person and develop qualities within you, which you didn't posses before. As long as you stick with it, you will learn and grow. Remember, every sitting (when nothing seems to be happening) is helping you to build up your samadhi- the only reason your mind calms down one day is because you put yourself through all those hours, days and weeks of meditation. Be clear about your motivators for meditation. Do you really want to overcome suffering? If so, you know what you need to do...

Wishing you viriya,

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Matheesha,

Your kind help has been most appreciated. As to the booklet 'The Path of Practice', would it be convenient to put it on your website so other friends can read it as well? If not, please send it to me (I'll send you a private mail about my address). Many thanks!

Starter