Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Post by Ceisiwr »

You have valid point and I agree that probably there's no tradition that preserved the Buddha's teaching with 100% accuracy

They all have, the Four Noble Truths :)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Parth

Post by Parth »

Imaginos wrote :
.....Since the best gift that one can give is the teaching of Dhamma, I think the worst thing that one can do to other human being is to lead him or her astray.
I found it very sad that some of the best selling books in the Buddhism section are the ones with little or zero difference with new age literature.
It is my opinion that the Dhamma is a genuine raft that is designed so marvelously that it can carry one across to the other shore.
But in order to function as a raft, it must be built with utter care following the original design.
Altough we'd never know the 100.00% accurate original teaching of the Buddha, our best chance for liberation is following the known original portion of the teaching (i.e. Pali Canon) as much as we can.
In Metta.
Fully agree, what can take one across is the original teaching of Buddha which is Vipassana I can only wish that people like Ingram come out of their delusions, his essay on Arhats clearly indicates that he has gone astray, I mean if Arhats can have sex, tell lies, take intoxicants even kill then whats left. As per him you can be an arhat and have lust, well thats dicotomy.

Metta to him, all of us and the poor souls who have got misguided by people like him.

Parth
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

clw_uk wrote:
You have valid point and I agree that probably there's no tradition that preserved the Buddha's teaching with 100% accuracy

They all have, the Four Noble Truths :)
Yes.
So although we are not as fortunate as the people who lived in Nothern India 2,500 years ago (i.e. those who met the Buddha in person), still, we are super-fortunate comparing to the people who lived there 2,600 years ago. :tongue:
We have the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path and etc. etc.
We don't have every single account of the Buddha's words but still we do have major key teachings from him.
Metta.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I suggest anyone interested in advanced meditation practices read Ingram's book and make their own judgement. I think of myself of pretty tradtional and find the hard core dhama people follow the Mahasi Sayadaw meditation practices closely. Ignore most of what has been written in this thread.

Jack
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jack wrote:I suggest anyone interested in advanced meditation practices read Ingram's book and make their own judgement. I think of myself of pretty tradtional and find the hard core dhama people follow the Mahasi Sayadaw meditation practices closely. Ignore most of what has been written in this thread.

Jack
And I suggest that people read carefully what is written in this thread, starting from the very beginning, taking seriously the informed criticism of Ingram,, keeping in mind that Ingram claims to be an arahant while rejecting how the suttas characterizes being an arahant.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 308#p48308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ram#p48395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And make up your own minds about what is written.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jack

Post by Jack »

Seems pretty clear. I suggest reading Ingram directly for his meditation advice. tiltbillings suggests reading this thread's criticisms of Ingrams' understanding of arahants.

Jack
tiltbillings wrote:
Jack wrote:I suggest anyone interested in advanced meditation practices read Ingram's book and make their own judgement. I think of myself of pretty tradtional and find the hard core dhama people follow the Mahasi Sayadaw meditation practices closely. Ignore most of what has been written in this thread.

Jack
And I suggest that people read carefully what is written in this thread, starting from the very beginning, taking seriously the informed criticism of Ingram,, keeping in mind that Ingram claims to be an arahant while rejecting how the suttas characterizes being an arahant.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 308#p48308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ram#p48395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And make up your own minds about what is written.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jack wrote:Seems pretty clear. I suggest reading Ingram directly for his meditation advice. tiltbillings suggests reading this thread's criticisms of Ingrams' understanding of arahants.

Jack
Why would one want to take meditation advice from some one who distorts and twists the Dhamma? There are plenty of far better teachers out there.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
nibs

Post by nibs »

I think Daniel was wrong to call what he says he attained "arahat". That term is not what he attained in my current opinion. He made a mistake in diagnosis. He got only half way there in my opinion. It can happen without a teacher there to put you right. He did though, in my current opinion, attain to a high stage of awakening. Just not the final stage of arahat. Lots of yogis are finding out he was probably wrong. There is still more to do, and I think because he had no-one pushing him to explore more at the time, he just mis-diagnosed. Same with Kenneth Folk. What Daniel's book talks about got him and many others to that stage. It is all valid and if you are able to leave aside his misdiagnosis, all the rest is useful. But each to his or her own.

This was not a lecture, tilt. I consider you an advanced yogi. An opinionated one, but who isn't? ;)

Lots of love,

nibs
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

nibs wrote:I think Daniel was wrong to call what he says he attained "arahat". That term is not what he attained in my current opinion. He made a mistake in diagnosis. He got only half way there in my opinion. It can happen without a teacher there to put you right. He did though, in my current opinion, attain to a high stage of awakening. Just not the final stage of arahat. Lots of yogis are finding out he was probably wrong. There is still more to do, and I think because he had no-one pushing him to explore more at the time, he just mis-diagnosed. Same with Kenneth Folk. What Daniel's book talks about got him and many others to that stage. It is all valid and if you are able to leave aside his misdiagnosis, all the rest is useful. But each to his or her own.
Well, there is the point of not taking one "attainments" as being anything more than more stuff of which to let go. Is Ingram's book worth reading? Not for me, but others may feel differently.
This was not a lecture, tilt. I consider you an advanced yogi. An opinionated one, but who isn't?
The opinionated part is correct, but I always try to keep Seng-ts'an in mind.

Parth

Post by Parth »

Nibs Wrote :
I think Daniel was wrong to call what he says he attained "arahat". That term is not what he attained in my current opinion. He made a mistake in diagnosis. He got only half way there in my opinion. It can happen without a teacher there to put you right. He did though, in my current opinion, attain to a high stage of awakening.
Well somebody who declares that 'he is an Arhat' and states that Arhats can
1. lie
2. have sex
3. willingly consume drugs or intoxicating drinks
4. even kill

well forget reaching half way on path to enlightenment anyone with above beliefs does not even understand dhamma/ liberation. Even if I have an enemy I would not send him to this person to learn dhamma / meditation. Would repeat what Imaginos wrote : If the best gift is dhamma the worst curse / deed would be leading someone astray.

It is better if we just give metta to Mr. Ingram and other poor souls led astray by him (at a time when Vipassana can still be learnt in the world).

Regards

Parth
nibs

Post by nibs »

but I always try to keep Seng-ts'an in mind.
Thanks for the head's up, tilt.

The Mind of Absolute Trust

By Seng-ts'an

The great way isn't difficult for those who are unattached to their preferences.

Let go of longing and aversion, and everything will be perfectly clear.

When you cling to a hairbreadth of distinction, heaven and earth are set apart.

If you want to realize the truth, don't be for or against.

The struggle between good and evil is the primal disease of the mind.

Not grasping the deeper meaning, you just trouble your minds serenity.

As vast as infinite space, it is perfect and lacks nothing.

But because you select and reject, you can't perceive its true nature.

Don't get entangled in the world; don't lose yourself in emptiness.

Be at peace in the oneness of things, and all errors will disappear by themselves.

If you don't live the Tao, you fall into assertion or denial.

Asserting that the world is real, you are blind to its deeper reality;

denying that the world is real, you are blind to the selflessness of all things.

The more you think about these matters, the farther you are from the truth.

Step aside from all thinking, and there is nowhere you can't go.

Returning to the root, you find the meaning;

chasing appearances, you lose there source.

At the moment of profound insight, you transcend both appearance and emptiness.

Don't keep searching for the truth; just let go of your opinions.

For the mind in harmony with the Tao, all selfishness disappears.

With not even a trace of self-doubt, you can trust the universe completely.

All at once you are free, with nothing left to hold on to.

All is empty, brilliant, perfect in its own being.

In the world of things as they are, there is no self, no non self.

If you want to describe its essence, the best you can say is "Not-two."

In this "Not-two" nothing is separate, and nothing in the world is excluded.

The enlightened of all times and places have entered into this truth.

In it there is no gain or loss; one instant is ten thousand years.

There is no here, no there; infinity is right before your eyes.

The tiny is as large as the vast when objective boundaries have vanished;

the vast is as small as the tiny when you don't have external limits.

Being is an aspect of non-being; non-being is no different from being.

Until you understand this truth, you won't see anything clearly.

One is all; all are one. When you realize this, what reason for holiness or wisdom?

The mind of absolute trust is beyond all thought, all striving,

is perfectly at peace, for in it there is no yesterday, no today, no tomorrow.

http://www.nonduality.com/seng.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nibs

Post by nibs »

parth wrote:Nibs Wrote :
I think Daniel was wrong to call what he says he attained "arahat". That term is not what he attained in my current opinion. He made a mistake in diagnosis. He got only half way there in my opinion. It can happen without a teacher there to put you right. He did though, in my current opinion, attain to a high stage of awakening.
Well somebody who declares that 'he is an Arhat' and states that Arhats can
1. lie
2. have sex
4. even kill

well forget reaching half way on path to enlightenment anyone with above beliefs does not even understand dhamma/ liberation. Even if I have an enemy I would not send him to this person to learn dhamma / meditation. Would repeat what Imaginos wrote : If the best gift is dhamma the worst curse / deed would be leading someone astray.

It is better if we just give metta to Mr. Ingram and other poor souls led astray by him (at a time when Vipassana can still be learnt in the world).

Regards

Parth
Hi Moses,
Guilty as charged and I accept your metta. Here's some metta right back at ya!

Do you believe your thoughts, Parth? Everyone of them? Here's an interesting game. As you read this, see if you can stop believing every thought that arises. Just watch them arise and attach no importance to them as if they were the thoughts of a crazy person. Take that angle and see how long you can go without believing your thoughts. It's a fun game. Most people last a few seconds before idfentifying again.

Peace Parth!

Metta,

nibs
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

parth wrote:Well somebody who declares that 'he is an Arhat' and states that Arhats can
1. lie
2. have sex
4. even kill

well forget reaching half way on path to enlightenment anyone with above beliefs does not even understand dhamma/ liberation.
Indeed. From the above it seems quite clear that Ingram et al aren't interested in Buddhist liberation.

All the best,

Geoff
nibs

Post by nibs »

Ñāṇa wrote:
parth wrote:Well somebody who declares that 'he is an Arhat' and states that Arhats can
1. lie
2. have sex
4. even kill

well forget reaching half way on path to enlightenment anyone with above beliefs does not even understand dhamma/ liberation.
Indeed. From the above it seems quite clear that Ingram et al aren't interested in Buddhist liberation.

All the best,

Geoff
Hehe!

Hi Geoff,

I beg to differ. I am all for Buddhist liberation. Us versus them!! Raaaargh!

P.s. I love your posts on jhana by the way.
Parth

Post by Parth »

Nibs Wrote:
Hehe!

Hi Geoff,

I beg to differ. I am all for Buddhist liberation. Us versus them!! Raaaargh!
Dear Nibs,

With all due respect, you may be all for Buddhist liberation but anybody who teaches you anything with these beliefs will not be able to take you anywhere and what sort of liberation are we talking about. Liberation is, liberation from fetters but Mr. Ingram does not seem to have understood that forget practicing it. So where will he lead you or others he manages to mislead, he himself seems to be deluded and seems to have misunderstood the very heart of dhamma.

This certainly is not worth laughing for any serious meditator.

Metta

Parth