Addressing a novice (samanera)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Paul Davy
Site Admin

Addressing a novice (samanera)

Postby Paul Davy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:06 am

Greetings,

I'm just wondering if for a layperson there's any difference in how they should address a samanera (novice) compared to a fully-fledged bhikkhu?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

Dhammanando

Re: Addressing a novice (samanera)

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Retro,

retrofuturist wrote:I'm just wondering if for a layperson there's any difference in how they should address a samanera (novice) compared to a fully-fledged bhikkhu?

In Sri Lanka, where people don't distinguish much between samaneras and bhikkhus (i.e. in many cases few people know whether a certain monk is one or the other), the manner of address is usually the same as for a bhikkhu: 'bhante'.

Everywhere else they're just addressed as 'samanera' (in Thai 'saamanen' or 'nen' for short) or by their name.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

First hermit: Still there’s one thing about being a hermit, at least you get to meet people.

Second hermit: Oh yes! I wouldn’t go back to public relations.
— Monty Python, The Hermits

(I shall be offline from 27th June until November)

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Re: Addressing a novice (samanera)

Postby Paul Davy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 am

Thank you, venerable.

Something like this, which I knew would be common knowledge to a bhikkhu, could have taken me ages to find out through other methods.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”